IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > IH Clubs > I.H.S.T.O
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 02-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #16
Mark Ashford

Member Number: 1099
Default Re: Scout Camper

I'd like to see some inside pictures as well as some dimentions on that thing when you get a chance.

I have a pu version that I suspect isn't much different in over-all size (you've seen it)..... Want to trade :d
Mark Ashford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #17
SS2

Member Number: 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark ashford View Post
I'd like to see some inside pictures as well as some dimentions on that thing when you get a chance.

I have a pu version that I suspect isn't much different in over-all size (you've seen it)..... Want to trade :d
I'll get some inside pictures up once I clean all the beer cans and squirrels out. I can take some mesurements for ya too.

IHCS "One may die so many can live".
KF7UBR (Nerd Name)
Team Chester
SS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #18
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Jerry's figurin you'll unearth sum used profeelaktix too.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #19
Drew Merrick

Member Number: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutboy74 View Post
jerry's figurin you'll unearth sum used profeelaktix too.
Of course he does.. Probably because they were his used profeelaktix. Look at the smirk on his face while you read this.
1962 Scout 80
1972 D1210 4X4 Truck
Brewmaster
drewmerrick.org
callsign: K0IHC
Drew Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #20
scoutdude80

Member Number: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael mayben View Post
We got another ihon member down in norcal with a gorgeous restoration of one of these and it's special!
I'm assuming that you are refering to sean's, silverscout, camper.

Name:  sean1.jpg
Views: 1863
Size:  318.6 KB

Name:  sean2.jpg
Views: 2454
Size:  262.0 KB
scoutdude80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #21
Silverscout

Member Number: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutdude80 View Post
I'm assuming that you are refering to sean's, silverscout, camper.

Attachment 8941

Attachment 8942
Thanks cary. Mike had pm'd me to get some inside shots of the camper so here you go.

The table stows away but sets up in a few seconds. You can see storage above the window as most fwc's have.

Here is ben waking up from a nap in the upper bunk.

Here you can see the bench seat transforms into another bed. Its very stable. You can see the heater vent to the left. That thing pumps out the heat!

Here you can see the sink, stove and cooler. The thermostat to the left is the same as you would have at home. There is a water tank bellow the sink and storage next to that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camp.jpg (72.9 KB, 1584 views)
File Type: jpg camp1.jpg (50.2 KB, 1608 views)
File Type: jpg camp2.jpg (62.7 KB, 1600 views)
File Type: jpg camp4.jpg (79.6 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg amp3.jpg (49.0 KB, 1753 views)
Silverscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #22
backcountry

Member Number: 1698

Reminds me of the 100 inch 77 I owned for a while...
Name:  Scout popup appliances.jpg
Views: 1891
Size:  21.5 KB

Name:  scout pop up interior.jpg
Views: 5015
Size:  29.7 KB

Name:  Scout II.jpg
Views: 2609
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
Views: 1671
Size:  21.7 KB

Last edited by backcountry; 03-04-2010 at 08:37 PM..
backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #23
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Those things are so stinkin' cool! Looks like the shitr'z full

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #24
SS2

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountry View Post
reminds me of the 100 inch 77 I owned for a while...
Attachment 8974

Attachment 8975

Attachment 8977

Attachment 8978
Welcome to the board. I wish I had bought that from you. That thing was near perfect.

KF7UBR (Nerd Name)
Team Chester
Old 03-05-2010, 02:18 AM   #25
AG194

Member Number: 1705

Dude! You got that thing off cl, sweet. You gonna part it out still? What of the body post part out? (drooling)
AG194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #26
backcountry

Default Scout Camper Update

Ok – here is an update on the camper. Mike happens to be my brother in-law and had picked up the unit because of my interest in restoring it for my terra. It's mostly a hunting and fishing rig these days and a camper would be a good addition. Thanks to a little time off work combined with help from mr. Uber Scout, my Dad, and friend aaron, the Scout four wheel pop up camper has undergone a good chunk of the rebuild.

My terra
Name:  Scout Passenger Side Summer 2009.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  41.0 KB

As great as the four wheel pop up campers are, they are a very permanent fixture on a Scout. They take the place of the vehicle’s cab by bolting to the windshield and they don’t have the “slide in” tub like most other pop up campers. They can’t be removed and reinstalled very easily and they must be stored indoors to keep dry when not installed. Simply put, they aren't something you take off and you have to dedicate a vehicle to one. A different option must exist.

Because of the Scout terra’s additional length compared to a Scout II, I set out to turn a Scout II designed pop up camper into a slide in camper model similar to the ones that folks are running on pickups that could be more easily removed and installed.

Well… I dove in all last week.

Removing the camper from the rustbucket
Name:  Removing from Donor.jpg
Views: 1960
Size:  60.5 KB

Fortunately, the camper came with an aluminum frame because the wood in this thing was shot and without the aluminum it wouldn’t have been worth rebuilding. Much of the original wood consisted of particle board, which was rotten, swollen, and soft. Even the plywood was bad.

The plywood was worse than it looks in a photo
Name:  Rotten Corners.jpg
Views: 1774
Size:  55.3 KB

In addition to replacing the wood in the camper side overhang areas, we built a slide in tub and front wall to turn this baby into a fully contained unit.

Making it fit the terra wasn’t too bad. We had to lift the entire unit 2.5 inches to adequately clear the roof and remove some of the overhang that sat below the tailgate in the rear. We used 2.5 aluminum tubing under the bedrails to help raise the unit – we used the tubing to create a simplified process for unfastening the camper from the truck. We also had to cut and reweld a couple sections in the aluminum frame in the rear so we could push the camper all the way forward in the bed.

Aluminum frame
Name:  aluminum frame.jpg
Views: 1767
Size:  33.3 KB

Jacked up
Name:  jacked up.jpg
Views: 1767
Size:  64.5 KB

After gutting out the appliances, cupboards, and making some changes to the rear frame we measured and built the lower portion of the tub. I chose ¾ acx plywood on the sides and pressure treated plywood for the floor.

The tub
Name:  the tub.jpg
Views: 1860
Size:  46.7 KB

We then removed the camper and set the tub inside the bed and then reinstalled the camper and replaced the horizontal wood panels that support the camper overhangs on each side. Balancing the camper was tricky at that point as it was getting very rickety – being partially deconstructed, the rotten wood panels began to fail. Camper jacks saved us at that point.

Replacing drivers side support panel
Name:  replacing side panels.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  52.6 KB

It was exciting moment when the side panels were firmly fastened to the tub… structure at last!

We then measured out and cut the front panel – something this camper never had before. It took a little leverage to square up the frame, but when we were done this unit was more solid and square than ever before.

Name:  Window Side With Tub.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  51.1 KB

Name:  Coming Together.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  44.8 KB

After that we started putting things back together so I could put the camper into storage until I have a chance to work on it again around memorial day. I’ve ordered some aluminum siding for the outside front header and to replace a couple small sections in the rear that were damaged. I’m going to order a window to install in the front and pick up linoleum for the floor and carpet for the passenger window area.

I now need to design a bench/bed area that I will build for the passenger area. I also plan to rebuild the cupboards on the driver’s side so they look new again.

Also, after memorial day I will be rebuilding and reinforcing the rotten bed area that sits above the cab. The particle board is currently a disaster….

The canvass and top area are going to have to wait a year or so as I’ve spent enough on this thing for a while….

Name:  Scout Camper Drivers Side.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  60.4 KB
Old 04-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #27
SS2

Great pictures joel. It looks good on your terra. I think I found one for me.

KF7UBR (Nerd Name)
Team Chester
Old 04-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #28
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

Nice work kidz! That's the way the dam thangs shoulda been built in the first place! It's hard enuff keepin' water out of a stocker IH anything, much less one that had had some major structural reinforcement done in plywood and particle board that wasn't even "marine"-rated!

And to think that IH even had any concept of using plywood to prevent oilcannin' of a dam flexi-flyer sii???? Hell, the canvas poptop provides as much structural rigidity as the particle board! I'd luv to go back in time and review warranty claims between pop-up and ihc regarding these anomalies!

But then, the overhang soaked up all the water before it rotted the windshield frame huh??

When we gonna put them dam lifter-offers jacks back into production? Product liability insurance on 'em is gonna really jack the retail price though!

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #29
backcountry

I wonder if some of these were actually sold from International lots or if they were all sold as aftermarket units... This unit was built in 1982.

Yes, particle board was a very bad idea.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #30
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

From what I remember about this deal, there was a "partial assembly" deal that IH had with 'em just like they had with all the other "converted" products. That means an "incomplete" was shipped to the contractor that installed the body, the accessory package, the whatever...same as it's done today in the biz...

At that point the unit was completed and then shipped-thru to the selling dealer, so it carried the same warranty coverage as the rest of the vehicle (with some limitations). I don't remember if the selling IH dealer had to sign on as a four wheel dealer or not, they May have had an arrangement with an actual rv dealer locally who was the four wheel agent and handled customer service for that part of the rig.

Similar kinda deal was done regarding the motorhome chassis and bus stuff. Ihc was one of the very few manufacturers who actually built the majority of their truck bodies and specialty/vocational units for their chassis even though they did use a "ship-thru" arrangement much of the time.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote