IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Transmission Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 08-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #1
Bullet18

Member Number: 9341
Default Mopar small block on IH 727

Im new to internationals but i am fairly experienced with mopars. I am currently looking into swapping a mopar 360 into a 4wd 76 international scout 2 and i was wondering, what is the easiest way to deal with the transmission? I know the ih transmission needs some parts changed over to work with the 360 but i dont know which ones exactly. I have an extra motorhome big block 727 sitting around that i could use for parts if they work. Ive never done any work on 4wd vehicles except taking engines out in the junkyard so i dont know anything about transfer case interchangeability. Could i bolt a mopar small block 727 to the ih transfer case? Would it be easier to use the a mopar 727 and transfercase? Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Bullet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
Scooter

Member Number: 917
Default Re: Mopar small block on IH 727

The IH transfer case is IH specific. It has, what's called a Texas style bolt pattern to bolt up to the IH specific 727 transmission. Most all the guts inside both the transmission and transfer case are interchangeable.

That being said, if you're swapping in a mopar engine and transmission into the scout, assuming that the transmission is of the 4x4 veriety,
you need to look into swapping the transfer case to the round style bolt pattern. Similar to what heeps had.

If you're heart set in keeping the IH specific transfer case, then some modifications could be done to the moper transmission. If I recall, that involves swapping the output shaft and the rear adapter on transmission, that the transfer case bolts up to
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
Bullet18

Thanks for the info. Ideally i would want to use the ih transmission but i was under the impression it wont bolt up to the 360 despite having the same bolt pattern. The big block 727 i have is from a rear wheel drive motorhome with a tail housing for a companion flange so i dont think thatll work.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #4
Scooter

Member Number: 917

I could be wrong, but I think that the bell housing between the mopar and IH transmissions are different.

There is a decent write up on these transmissions in the sticky portion of this subsection of the transmission tech
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #5
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

The IH variant 727 shell bolt pattern is unique to the IH engine family.

The least complex option would be to obtain a complete Mopar small block 727 trans that will mate to your 360. The big shell that you have won't mate. Then you take all the output guts from the IH 727 shell and swap them into the small Mopar shell. This would require that both shells be completely gutted to create the Frankentrans, but it would give you the married adapter housing with the Texas pattern to marry up with the IH Dana 20 T-case.

Another potential option would be to source a small block Mopar 727 trans and a married NP 208 or 241 T-case from the same 80's Ramcharger as a matched package. This would likely entail some cross member fabrication and prop shaft length modification, especially to the rear shaft.
Its a plunge down the rabbit hole any way you slice it.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:24 AM   #6
Bullet18

Thanks for the info. I think ill be taking a mopar 727 and changing over the internals to the ih. What sort of parts do i need to adapt to the transfer case bolt pattern?