IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Engine Cooling & Mobile HVAC Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 09-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Rock Tractor
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 46
Default CLR for cleaning the cooling system?

Just throwing this out there. What about using clr for cleaning the cooling system.

Dysfunctional RockCrawlers
NorCal Scouts
DANGER RANGER RACING
Rock Tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10
Default Re: CLR for cleaning the cooling system?

I don't know. For the last several years in this game I've used only prestone "super" for a system flush along with pulling the block core plugs and rodding out the heavy granular deposits if present.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
Rock Tractor
IHPA Tech Moderator

Mike, when I get home latter on the peuter I'll type up what has been going on and exactly when it started. To much to type with my fat fingers on this phone

NorCal Scouts
DANGER RANGER RACING
Old 09-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
Rock Tractor
IHPA Tech Moderator

During 2010's NorCal Scouts annual rubicon run we ran into a severally broken toyota land cruiser. I didn't know the guy who's cruiser it was, but I new the guy that was trying to help fix it. The Dana 60 knuckle was ripped in two pieces. So the rest of the crew went to buck and I stayed back with my rig. My rig has a welder. So about an 1/2 an hour into the welding of the knuckle back together my rig starts running hot, boiling over hot.
My rig is fuel injected and I thought it could be running lean from dirty filters or low fuel pressure. I've replaced the filters a couple times, bumped the fuel pressure up, swapped out thermostats (180 to a 195, both Robert shaws), flushed the radiator with prestone super flush, I have the back flush setup on my rig, swapped water pumps.
It has helped some. Still runs warm, not boiling over, but almost.
So I ran some clr in it today, and some more crud did come out. Not gobs of it, but more than the prestone stuff got out.
I do run an electric fan, from a lincoln mark8. It fits perfectly in a scoutii radiator, if you have your motor moved back a few inch's.

I know it sounds like rambleing, but I'm stumped.

NorCal Scouts
DANGER RANGER RACING
Old 09-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
Rock Tractor
IHPA Tech Moderator

Two pics of the fan.

NorCal Scouts
DANGER RANGER RACING
Old 10-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
Craig

Member Number: 5

I looked up the msds sheet for clr. Looks like they make a lot of different stuff now. Clr4,5,12,55, etc

but it says "aqueous acidic cleaner" proprietary mixture

prestone super flush, as107
it's msds says:
water 60-90% 7732-18-5
sodium citrate 7-13% 68-04-2
sodium xylene sulfanate 1-5% 1330-72-7

Jeff has the rmi stuff and that works too.

I've seen others post up about using clr. Acid works great on rust, but not sure how the rest of the parts like it.
The instruction for the prestone says flush with clean water. Put the stuff in and run it for 3-6 hours and flush that out a couple times, then fill with 50/50
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
Rock Tractor
IHPA Tech Moderator

I think I've got my cooling system back to optimal condition. I did the prestone stuff first. When there was no change I tried the clr and alot of brownish gunk came out. After I flushed the system for about 15 minutes. It has helped.
I still need to get new hoses

NorCal Scouts
DANGER RANGER RACING
Old 10-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
DF Sales&Marketing
Oil Moderator

Member Number: 207

Besides being the swepco rep, I am also the local distributor for the rmi-25 cooling system treatment which Jeff at ihon has in stock.

The rmi-25 is a cleaner and a conditioner, and is non-toxic. It will clean the rust, then lay down a protective barrier so that it will not form again. no other product On the market does this.

Suggest you get a bottle of product from Jeff and put it in your system.

The only downside is that if all that is holding the system together is rust and corrosion, it will clean that out too, so it May spring a leak somewhere.....soft plugs are the most common areas.

Re-treat every 15,000 miles, this will also add life to your anti-freeze because it replaces the additives which wear out.

Dick floryanowich
DF Sales&Marketing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #9
AmericaOverland

Member Number: 2030

Clr gets it out more than prestone does?

That's weird... Because I have used clr to get hard mineral deposits off sink fixtures without success in this strange water of houston. The only thing that gets it off is some demineralizer that has a strong smell. When you spray it on, you literally see the mineral deposits bubble off the sinks and fixtures in seconds. Nothing else works here in houston. Clr and lime away does not work. I wish I knew what it was, as I ran out of it. Apparently, cleaning crews use it, but I can't find it.
AmericaOverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
Craig

Member Number: 5

I too have used clr in bathrooms and saw nothing happen. They show it removing the mineral scale on t.v. But I too found it not as advertised. Now I did not soak the parts for a day in the stuff either. Kind of hard to soak a shower door.

I have used strong acid to remove rust from parts, letting them soak in a bucket for a couple for days. Its not as fast as you think with heavy rust. Light rust is gone quick.

In the IH manual, I remember a section that talked about using lye in the system to clean it out. [caution not for use with an aluminum radiators. ]

but with all that said . I will stick with the prestone and rmi-25 cleaners.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote