IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Transfer Case Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 09-23-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
grahamjohnson54

Member Number: 3714
Question I'm Gonna Cry!!!

Just finished rebuilding my Dana 20. First time I have ever attempted this. Looks good nice and clean. Put it back on the tranny and everything is great until I put oil in it. It is leaking out the front driveline yoke. Any ideas on what to do. Everything is new except the yoke itself. I really don't want to drop this thing again. The front yoke has the oil seal and then on the yoke itself the fiber donut under the flaring on the yoke. Did I miss something. Thanks for the help.

Graham
grahamjohnson54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Mark Ashford

Member Number: 1099
Default Re: I'm Gonna Cry!!!

Pull the yoke, looks for wear or other issues with the seal surface. You can probably pry out the oil seal and put a new one it, try to line it up with a spot that is clean and smooth on the yoke, or get a new yoke with a perfect seal surface.

Make sure the yoke seal surface diameter matchs your seal id.....
Mark Ashford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
grahamjohnson54

Thanks
Old 09-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
1975IH200

Member Number: 731

You could also install a "speedi-sleeve" repair sleeve on the worn yoke. Cheaper than buying a new yoke. Use a new seal also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04 Yoke & repair sleeve.jpg (39.8 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg 11 Yoke with sleeve installed.jpg (57.6 KB, 204 views)

My Junk --> 1975 "200HD" AWD Truck
My Cave location --> Western North Carolina
1975IH200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

A repair sleeve for any application can be somewhat expensive. Here is what the pros do when reconditioning the yoke systems on any transmission, axle, or transfer case in order to prevent any lubricant leakage...

Once the case/assembly is all back together, the input or output spline is carefully cleaned of any and all lubricant, we use contact cleaner for that. Clean the yoke in the same manner, all parts must be clean and dry.

Apply a very tiny bead of high temp rtv at the point where the shaft exists the bearing race. This is the only place I ever use an rtv product in any work I do.

Then we slide a shim of some sort down over the spline, something around 1/16" or so but the actual thickness is not critical. I use the shims for the side bearings on a d44 axle, those normally come in large sets of multiple sizes and we always have a bunch around. Apply another tiny bead of rtv on top of the shim.

Then install the yoke. Do not use the felt (or rubber) spline gasket. Lay in the last application of rtv on the spline/yoke interface, then install the thick washer and nut, and torque it.

Doing this will prevent lubricant from bleeding past the spline and relocate the actual yoke surface to a clean point that will not interfere with the seal lip.

If any imperfection is present on the yoke surface that will come in contact with the seal lip, the seal will be destroyed in an instant.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
grahamjohnson54

Thanks, I picked up some of those spacers and will give it a shot. One last quick question. Why do you not use the felt washer? Thanks