IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Gas Engine Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 01-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #31
Hillbilly38

Member Number: 824
Default Re: IH lifter rattle syndrome, What is it and do I have it?

Amazing! Ive been scouring the net for days looking for this exact problem. Im new to scouts and thought man there has got to be something to read about lifter noise and a solution. Ill be adding an extra quart of oil tomorrow. Thanks.
Hillbilly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:30 PM   #32
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

Welcome to the forum hillbilly!

I'm diligently searching for a copy of the "service bulletin" that was sent to all IH dealers and fleet operators that outlined this scenario. We'll find that somewhere amongst the archives and when we do, we'll scan and post.

Please report back to us if adding the "extra" quart helps your situation. If it does not, then we'll assist ya in diagnosing...all ya need to know regarding the diagnostic process for the I-4 and sv engine lubrication system faults should be in this thread and a few others. But we're always looking for new validated information regarding this topic as well.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #33
Mark Pietz

Member Number: 2143

I know mm is gone from this board, but I am going to ask a question here that has bugged me for the longest time. Hopefully it won't get me tossed off this board! I know that the Chevy bb - maybe others, I don't know - had a problem with lifters making noise at start up and the problem was often (always?) air trapped in the forward portion of the oil galleys. Solution was to drill small holes in the forward plugs threaded into the galleys. Oil pressure would force out the trapped air and then tiny streams of oil would squirt onto the timing chain, I guess a side benefit, but not enough to compromise oil pressure or flow. Anyway, IH engines also have a similar arrangement. Has anyone considered maybe drilling teeny holes in those plugs right behind the timing gear? (well, one teeny hole in the I-4s). Just curious...
Mark Pietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #34
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

I use to drill tiny holes in the front gallery plugs but can't say I ever noticed any reduction in lifter noise upon start up.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #35
Mark Pietz

Member Number: 2143

Okay. Just wondering if it had any benefit for the sv.
Mark Pietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #36
Jasonvh

Member Number: 7722

So now I have lifter noise on a fresh rebuild. My motor clicks for about 5 seconds when cold started. Then perfectly quiet for the remainder of the warm up. Then, once warm, the noise comes on the passenger side. It will vary with driving speed and sometimes will go away when luging around in the neighborhood or parking lots. Gets much worse at sustained highway speed. I could live with a little noise but this sounds like it could cause damage! The motor was perfect for the first 4 hours of operation. Now the tick is here to stay.

Also, during inspection I noticed a few of my lifters were not spinning.

Here are the specs....
304 fresh rebuild
isky dual pattern cam
comp lifters
comp springs
cam bearing placement was checked and rechecked during build.
9 stand boat rockers (all boats fill with oil while running)
block was boiled twice and oil galleries scrubbed clean both times.

Break in procedure was followed to the letter using rotella 30 wt and zddp. Now running rotella 10w30 and a wix filter.

Oil pressure is 20+ hot idle and 50+ @ 2500 rpms. The mechanical oil pressure gauge isn't the best but my oem dash gauge is higher than ever too.
Verified oil flow to rockers and lifters by running motor with valve covers off. Lots of oil on the floor after this test. Also, the lifters were covered in oil. And I have tried adding up to 2 quarts of additional oil to no avail.

I was thinking that air bubbles in the system could cause the lifters to collapse during sustained high rpm driving so, I pulled the oil pickup tube and added another o-ring and sealant. Still ticking...

I ordered 4 more comp lifters to swap in as I can't identify exactly which one is ticking. When the cover was off is sounded like it was #2 intake. However, when the ticking is really bad it sounds like it's coming from everywhere.

I'm going to remove the rockers, rods, and lifters and spin the oil pump with a drill to confirm oil flow to the lifter galleries before I drop 'em back in.

Last edited by Jasonvh; 06-16-2015 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: After looking at my build notes, I realized I made some mistakes in my post.
Jasonvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #37
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

May not have any bearing on your issue, but just wondering why you switched oil viscosity after the break in. 5w30 is a far cry on the thickness scale from single viscosity 30wt. Seems pretty thin and runny for an sv8, even one that has been recently rebuilt. Personally, I wouldn't run anything lighter than a 10wxx in one of these engines and even that would be done with some trepidation.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #38
Jasonvh

I mistyped.... 10w30. I was concerned that the oil pressure was too high and maybe the straight grade was the cause. Evidently not. The pressure is just as high now.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #39
Jasonvh

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutboy74 View Post
May not have any bearing on your issue, but just wondering why you switched oil viscosity after the break in. 5w30 is a far cry on the thickness scale from single viscosity 30wt. Seems pretty thin and runny for an sv8, even one that has been recently rebuilt. Personally, I wouldn't run anything lighter than a 10wxx in one of these engines and even that would be done with some trepidation.
What oil weight do you run? Will a different viscosity reach the lifters better? I'd run straight 50 if I thought it'd help!
Old 06-16-2015, 10:17 PM   #40
Scoutboy74

I like 20w50 in experienced engines, especially in warmer operating zones. 15w40 is a pretty good, year round choice regardless of whether there are 5 hours on the clock or 150,000 miles. Straight 40 or 50 weight would be too heavy. I like the wix filters too. I'm not a lubrication expert, but I do know that pressure and flow can be mutually exclusive. It May seem counter-intuitive, but you can have good flow/distribution with low pressure just as you can have poor flow/distribution with high pressure. Even though I think the 10w30 is a bit thin, I'm skeptical that it alone could be causing your issue. Still, it May be worth your while to change oil and filter and replace with 15 or 20w to see if that makes any difference. When experienced engines develop lifter rattle, it is usually the result of one or more failed cam bearings. I wouldn't expect a cam bearing in a refreshed engine to exhibit such rapid failure unless there was an issue during the installation process. Sorry I can't shed more light on it for you than that.

Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Old 06-17-2015, 08:41 AM   #41
Jasonvh

Cool. Thanks!

I just picked up some rotella 15w40 and a new filter.

I'm also going to pull the rear cam plate and see if there is anything I can see going on in there. Maybe I can run a bore brush in the lifter galleries.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #42
Jasonvh

Thinking I May have an obstruction in the lifter gallery I decided to take a look. I pulled the rear cam plate and found what looks like excessive bearing clarence. This sucks! I thought the oil looked a little cloudy when I changed it. It looks like my lifter tick will only get worse unless I change the cam bearings.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2015, 11:04 AM   #43
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

The other bearings are probably no better. The rear one we see in your photo is installed to far aft in the block. It should be seated below the plate mounting face about 1/16 and needs to be flush with the rear of the cam. This opens the flow channels that feed the lifter galleries and lines up the oil groove in the cam with the oiling features in the bearing.. There is no need to grind a notch on the bearing for the oil channels. Simply install it correctly. Most engine builders not familiar with this IH oiling system will get it wrong. See this post for more detail on positioning the bearings.
This member suffered a similar bearing failure but all of the bearings seemed to be installed correctly.

http://forums.IHPartsAmerica.com/gas...er-tick-3.html

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #44
Scoutboy74

Care to mention who the builder was? Was there any pre-build discussion regarding their prior sv8 build history?