IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Axle Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 02-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
clhman

Member Number: 5667
Default Front end clunking - puzzled

I have rebuilt or replaced everything on my front end and I still have an intermittent clunking noise in the front that I just can't track down. Here's what I've done on the front end:

new borgeson steering joints
new steering box
new straight steer
welded frame plate
drop pitman arm
new tie rod ends
new ball joints
new adjusting sleeves
cut and turn to 6 degrees
5" shackles
2.5" Rough Country lift
32" BFG all-terrain's on 15x8 steels

I get the clunking noise when I turn the wheels and enter a parking lot typically. I have re-torqued the ball joints 4x already. Bottom, adjusting sleeve then top per fsm. The only thing I haven't replaced is the drag link. Could that be my problem? I have removed it and re-torqued it as well several times. When examining it, it seems fine, but it's hard to tell. One thing that seems odd is that the hole to put the pin through is well above the top of the castle nut. The bottom of the hole is at least 3-4mm higher than the very top of the castle nut.

Could that be my problem? Should I replace my drag link...?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
jeff campbell

Member Number: 39
Default Re: Front end clunking - puzzled

Yes ! Thats what it appears to be. Castle nut is waay too tight, thats why its so far up for the cotter pin. It's very worn.
jeff campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
int77345

Member Number: 624

So on mine....I had a clunk once, and it was my front leaf springs moving a little when the wheel was turned side to side like you are describing.
Have a nice assistant turn the wheel side and side and watch the front leaf packs just an idea before replacing that drag link.....
int77345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:01 PM   #4
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742

Mine has done that for ever. Different springs, axles, drag link and ball joints. Not bad when dry and much worse when wet. I think it's the springs shifting too.
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:56 AM   #5
Hondo

Member Number: 4714

Had that problem with mine, coming from left front. Found the spring pack's locating pin missed the locating hole in the front left spring perch. Usually clunked when starting to go up or down hill, or like you say, when pulling into a parking lot - usually uphill with a bump. Not that hard to do when you're trying to watch both sides when installing the axle.the pin definitely has some wiggle room if it's in one of those rectangular depressions.
Attached Images

1975 Scout II healthy 258, Wide T19 , 4:1 D300 3:54s,
1972 Real clean stock Scout II P/S, P/B, 345, T18, 3:73s
1969 Mach I. Balanced ported 351W, 650 double pumper, Super T10, Detroit locker with 4.11s. Lowered with racing springs, bars, Konis etc.
(Don't worry about getting arrested when I drive the Scouts).
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
clhman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff campbell View Post
yes ! Thats what it appears to be. Castle nut is waay too tight, thats why its so far up for the cotter pin. It's very worn.
Kind of figured that. I'll get one on order. Might not be the clunk but sounds like it's worn out. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by int77345 View Post
so on mine....I had a clunk once, and it was my front leaf springs moving a little when the wheel was turned side to side like you are describing.
Have a nice assistant turn the wheel side and side and watch the front leaf packs just an idea before replacing that drag link.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdchappie View Post
mine has done that for ever. Different springs, axles, drag link and ball joints. Not bad when dry and much worse when wet. I think it's the springs shifting too.
Hmm, I never thought of the springs shifting...I'll take a look at them tonight. It handles like a dream though. I can drive it 80mph+ with one finger on the wheel all day. It's just this stupid clunk. Grr! Any way can I tighten the springs? Do they make different keepers? Or do I just live with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
had that problem with mine, coming from left front. Found the spring pack's locating pin missed the locating hole in the front left spring perch. Usually clunked when starting to go up or down hill, or like you say, when pulling into a parking lot - usually uphill with a bump. Not that hard to do when you're trying to watch both sides when installing the axle.the pin definitely has some wiggle room if it's in one of those rectangular depressions.
I actually just did a cut and turn in December and I'm 100% sure that the pin is in the hole. In fact I changed the spring pins when I took off my 5 degree shims. Thanks for bringing that up though.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
int77345

Ya I always drove my Scout 80 mph also. And yes sitting still turning the wheel side to side, my leafs would move slightly and with a popping sound. By move im talking about very slightly like a fingernail. When you do your test watch close at the front of the leaf pack.

Fast forward 10 years to the present time, eventually my Scout became scary to drive at 50 mph and required an extensive overhaul to get back to driving 80 mph
Old 02-27-2017, 11:31 PM   #8
clhman

So...it is definitely my springs. The entire leaf pack on both sides is out of line. They were as much as 1/4" off from each other side to side. The keepers are just too loose to keep the stack straight. I emailed rc to see if they can offer a solution. I'm definitely frustrated with it. I'm wondering if I should build my own keepers to keep them tighter?
Old 02-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #9
clhman

I just heard back from rc. They are not very helpful. They told me that my center pin or u-bolts are loose. (they are not.) they also told me to bend in the clamps with pliers to tighten them. There is probably a 1/4"-1/2" gap on each side between the clamps and the springs. I'm tempted to build my own and weld them tight. Is that a good idea? Has anyone done that before? I'd also weld the top at the 'c' to make it rigid.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
int77345

I bet the thin teflon pads between the leaves just worn down.

I dont know much about welding but I would not weld to spring steel. Im sure somone with the proper knowledge will have the correct opinion for the welding
Old 02-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #11
clhman

Quote:
Originally Posted by int77345 View Post
I bet the thin teflon pads between the leaves just worn down.

I dont know much about welding but I would not weld to spring steel. Im sure somone with the proper knowledge will have the correct opinion for the welding
The lift kit is brand new with 7k miles on it. I'm thinking of welding the keepers tighter and not touching the springs.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:08 AM   #12
harrywt

Member Number: 1181

Also check the bushing in the spring ends and the shackles. The bushings in back end of my front springs are shot and I get a clunk once in a while at slow speeds and hard turns.
harrywt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:28 PM   #13
clhman

Just wanted to close the book on this one...

Finally got it solved. I took the springs apart, installed a liner between each leaf, installed tighter spring keepers and new spring pack bolts (again) and now they are good to go. No more movement. No thanks to Rough Country. If you're reading this and contemplating...spend the money and buy the Skyjacker kit.