IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 10-09-2016, 06:21 PM   #1
Adrien

Member Number: 8204
Question Frame work

Debating on what is the best route to go in regards to my frame. I'm going to pull the body off my travel and send it out to be cleaned up. I'm going back and forth on what to do. Undercoat or painted? If I have it undercoated, will the thickness of it cause a problem when it comes back to putting the body back on? What do you guys think is the better bang for the buck?
Adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:49 PM   #2
Zaedster
Future Owner of IH Parts America

Member Number: 7132
Default Re: Frame work

Primer and paint.
Zaedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
Dealbreaker74

Member Number: 697

Definitely paint. Get some rustoleum red lead on it after you wire wheel all the junk off. Then hose it down with a good industrial semi black.
I've powdercoated frames for other projects, and without fail, there's always one last hole to drill or one last weld to make (or whatever). There's no cool way to hide that mess. If its paint, no problem. Plus the undercoat tends to peel as the years go by. Paint is much more forgiving in the long run.
Dealbreaker74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
Adrien

Hmmm...think it's more cost effective? I ask b/c I'm on a budget. I guess it doesn't matter. Spending a lot now will save me in the long run
Old 10-10-2016, 07:36 AM   #5
Dealbreaker74

Member Number: 697

A quart of primer from home depot, a gallon of lacquer thinner and a quart of whatever rustoleum black you like. I don't know alaska prices...maybe $50 tops? You'll need a gun to shoot it (brushing it will still be durable just won't look as good), but its about the cheapest option. If you think you can just rattle can some of that undercoat stuff on and expect it to last, well I think you'll be disappointed. Especially where you live. If you have gone to the effort of pulling the frame, do it right. Otherwise you'll regret it later.
Dealbreaker74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
Adrien

Thanks!!! Definitely no rattle can hastening in this garage. The work will be done professionally, was just torn on which route to go. Paint or a rubber coated frame. This truck won't be out on the snow at all. Is strictly a summer truck.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #7
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742

For a high end job I like por15 paint for frames and underbodies. I've had great results stopping the relentless progress of rust for decades with this product.
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #8
Adrien

Sweet...thanks!! I'll see if my local shop uses this stuff our can.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #9
codeman

Member Number: 2424

Just my .02 worth... I completely blasted mine with excellent results. Etched it with eastwood "afterblast" & sprayed with nason ful-poxy primer. The afterblast left the metal almost begging to be coated. It felt like it had little fingers just waiting to grab the primer. I've never used anything like it! The primer went on perfectly! It's just waiting on me to get my a$$ in gear and work on it!!!!
codeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:03 AM   #10
Adrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman View Post
just my .02 worth... I completely blasted mine with excellent results. Etched it with eastwood "afterblast" & sprayed with nason ful-poxy primer. The afterblast left the metal almost begging to be coated. It felt like it had little fingers just waiting to grab the primer. I've never used anything like it! The primer went on perfectly! It's just waiting on me to get my a$$ in gear and work on it!!!!
Thanks for that info. I will look into it for sure. Still looking for a local shop that can media blast
Old 10-30-2016, 07:50 AM   #11
Adrien

As I'm getting ready to pull the cab in the next two weeks, I'm trying to figure out the best way to store it. My garage won't hold the frame and engine side by side and still allow me space to work. So the body is going to a storage lot and will be covered. For those that have pulled a cab off, what did you set the cab on?
Old 10-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #12
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien View Post
for those that have pulled a cab off, what did you set the cab on?
Another rolling chassis. Obviously you're most likely not going to have a rolling chassis for you to do that so my next recommendation would be four, four wheeled flat dollies (like these found at harbor freight - 18 in x 12 in. 1000 lb. Capacity hardwood dolly ). Get some 2x4's and build a custom cart from there attaching all four dollies at each corner at the bottom and on top try to bolt at least two (four is better) body mounts to your new custom chassis cart. Probably won't cost you no more than $75 in material and when your done you can ake it apart and use the dollies for something else along with the 2x4's.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:18 PM   #13
Adrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
another rolling chassis. Obviously you're most likely not going to have a rolling chassis for you to do that so my next recommendation would be four, four wheeled flat dollies (like these found at harbor freight - 18 in x 12 in. 1000 lb. Capacity hardwood dolly ). Get some 2x4's and build a custom cart from there attaching all four dollies at each corner at the bottom and on top try to bolt at least two (four is better) body mounts to your new custom chassis cart. Probably won't cost you no more than $75 in material and when your done you can ake it apart and use the dollies for something else along with the 2x4's.
Great idea!!!!!