IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 07-27-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
Kirk

Member Number: 8292
Default 1958 Travelall A120 4X4... What to do??

I was recently given a 1958 Travelall. It is not in too bad of shape, but some of the immediate problems are a broken left rear leaf spring and broken and previously repaired steering shaft right where it enters the gear box. I believe it has a blown head gasket as there was good antifreeze coming out of a couple of the spark plug holes. I have rebuilt some hotrods, but nothing like this. It seems the parts are few and far between from what I can tell in my short time on the internet looking for parts. What I do not know is what models are interchangeable with this vehicle. It did come with the build sheet which is pretty cool. I have the money to put into it, I am just wondering if I am spinning my wheels looking for parts or will I have to resort to a lot of fabrication. Any and all suggestions and/or criticism is welcomed.

build sheet small1.pdf

Name:  travelall.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  40.8 KB
Old 07-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
Greg R

Member Number: 527
Default Re: 1958 Travelall A120 4X4... What to do??

You have a classic!! Restore, fix it, get it in shape. You can make mint on it. Or, send it to oregon and we'll take the worry off yore hands.
Greg R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:44 PM   #3
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742

You've got a nice project there. With a bd264 engine and 4.78 gears it probably won't go much over 55 mph. With an sv engine (304, 345 or 392 v8's) and 3.54 or 3.73 gears it will cruse nicely down the freeway. There is much better parts availability for the sv engines as they were in production until 1984.

So what do you want to do with it?
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:50 PM   #4
Kirk

Member Number: 8292

Heck, I am open to all suggestions. I just don't want to do anything to it that will have a huge negative impact on it. I just received a text from the guy I got it from that he has someone willing to give me an unknown v8 out of a 68 Travelall. What v8options were available on the 1968 Travelall? Will it have anymore value as original vs putting a v8 in it? I figured with those gears it wouldn't do much more than 60 mph but of course it will still do that going up the side of a mountain. :d I am really leaning towards just making it as modern as possible. I even thought about rat rodding it up to and including chopping the top. However, my wife said I can do anything as long as I don't chop it. She has never been interested in any of my muscle cars but she is overly excited about this project so I think I will let her have her way. My 13 year old daughter is also getting into it so I suspect she will be quite a block sander by the time we are done. I've even considered a modern GM powertrain swap. Really nothing is off the table as far as I am concerned. I just love the classic look of this thing and cant wait to go down the road in it. My daily driver is a 2014 stingray and I bet his thing will get more attention.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:21 AM   #5
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

In 68, you could have the 304 or 345 as optional engines and maybe even the 266. From an install standpoint, they are all the same. From the 264 you'll need to remove the existing mountings and install the v8 mountings.

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:01 AM   #6
Greg R

Member Number: 527

I6's had the sae bell housing, then the transmission according to the build sheet is a 3 speed. So with all this swapping, plus bell housing, 2 axles, moving the transfer case, etc. Etc. We're talking a lotta coin and work for bragging rights; that's even before knowing it runs. I6's are nothing to sneeze at and even in our little towns they can still be rebuilt. Your only limiting factor is speed with the low ratio gears. At this vintage they are probably IH 3rd member. Frankly I think it's more valuable, and there are collectors who love this stuff, if it stays as is and a rare experience. An original a, woohoo.
Greg R is offline   Reply With Quote