IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Carb Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 08-30-2008, 08:34 PM   #16
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453
Default Re: Holley 41XX Modular Series Carb Stuff

22 mpg? Hooray for me! With hooty's help I'm reducing my carbon footprint one gas tank at a time!

Mike, be honest now. When was the last time you were bored?

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:58 PM   #17
Scoutboy74

I know it's only been a couple days since I last had hooty running, but I decided to remove the "rock strainer" as Mike called it, for a look down the gullet as I worked the throttle linkage. First off, it's harder than hell to see the squirters with the choke plate closed up most of the way, which is what happens when you stab the throttle. In order for me to really give this test a fair shake, I'll have to disable the choke plate mechanism so that I can keep the plate propped open. Although visibility was very limited, it sure didn't look as though I'd gotten much if any fuel to squirt with that first pump. In fact, it took a number of pumps before I even smelled raw fuel or noticed that the throttle plates had any shine on them. This was a bit of a shock given the short period of time since last run. I removed the sight plug to see if any fuel was present there, but none was. So it appears that I have an internal fuel leak. I then figured that it would probably take much cranking to get the engine started, but it fired right up. With all that pumping I must have gotten just enough fuel into the chamber to light the fire. It did run for a second or two at low idle before self-ramping up to fast idle speed.
So what's causing this leak and how do I stop it? I suppose it involves pulling the carb again. $%$$@$%!!! Tia

Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Old 08-31-2008, 07:02 PM   #18
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

Yes, you will pull the carb off, next time put them medium size zippers on it instead of nutz on the studs.

Does the fatwhiteboyz scruuoff wine bottle racing team own an electric fuel pump? If so, I want ya to rig the pump to the fuel inlet fitting while the carb is on some kinda stand. Four long bolts with nutz does just fine.

Then turn the pump on and fill tha bowls until it cycles off. Prop the choke plate open so ya kin look down tha throat without gittin' crosseyed.

Yawl May need to work in shifts tradin' eyeballz but if it's leaking down tha esophagus you will see it.

I suspect that accel pump system is leaking off, but that will show up too. Remember the "path" for the accel pump shot? Fuel can siphon out of the accel pump well, which in turns drains the front/primary bowl. The rear bowl will remain full since it's only connected to the main body through the gasket and the equalizer tube that runs down the driver side. Leakage externally from the ends of that tube is also common if the "o" rings are not seated. The later type seals for that tube won't work in your carb, it uses the "o" ring seals.

So pressurize it and leave the pump turned on until it "cycles" again, keep goin' with that deal until ya find the leakage. Cycling indicates fuel "leakdown". And use a fuel pump with no greater outlet pressure than 7lbs.

This is much easier to do on the bench than bent over tha fender where us fatwhiteboyz have tha most trouble gittin' up to the bar.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:19 PM   #19
Scoutboy74

Negatoree. We uns ain't sofistimuckatid enuf tuh have any uh them new fangled fuel pushers. I'll have tuh trade in sum beer cans fer deeposit sos I kin git one. Ya reckon harbor fake tulz has a gud 'un?
I know fer dam shur I ain't got no leakies out the equalizer tube. Dag nabbit, I figgered I wuz all dun with that carb.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #20
Michael Mayben

Naw hf don't have no sparkpumps...but they do carry them old bellows for blowin' the fire inna woodstove. Bet yawl could rig that up and take turns pumpin'???

I do have a rig you could use, but ya will have to come up to the meeting Thursday to git it, so that ain't too cost effective! This one is a set up insidea jiffy box with filter, switch, etc. Makes a real nice package I can pack in checked baggage when flying for junkiron...now I will not fly ever agin, so it gits packed in the truck box for emergency use.

The other one mounts in/on a jerry can. Loaned that out twice now, each time the two pumps have taken a dump! Don't know what tha hail is going on, the second pump that drew used was new. Got one more to try, tha rig is on the bench now for repair. These are them big vibrator pumps.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #21
Scoutboy74

Vibrator pumps? Sweet horny toads! Mebbe they broke cuz they wuz gittin' used in a manner other than what the manneefackshur intended

Old 09-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #22
Michael Mayben

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutboy74 View Post
vibrator pumps? Sweet horny toads! Mebbe they broke cuz they wuz gittin' used in a manner other than what the manneefackshur intended
Same principal!!! Only I use the version for settlin' concrete pours, those run offa a 24vdc battery pak!

Horsepower is everythang!

Old 09-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #23
Scoutboy74

Okay, li'l update fer yawl on my carbie. I wuz able tuh git a guud look down the gullet as I worked the throttle and saw two guud streams, no dribbles. I think the accel pump is fine. I still don't know if this thing is leaking internally or not. It sat for another extended period of time and fired up with ease this time. Is it leaking or is it not??? Not really a big deal at this point. What is a big deal is the way it behaves at extreme angles as in a steep hill climb. I wuz chargin' my way up a hill and jes as the big 392 wuz beginnin' to growl it stalled out, which caused me to start growlin' thangs not fit to repeat in front of yung uns and genteel wimin folks.
Is there an offroad kit available for the 4150? What about these one piece vent tube thingies I see on some carbs? I gotta do something. Can't let that scott sinner and his frankenjected setup outdo me that easy. I know I got buttloads more power on tap than he's got, but not when the engine stalls out.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #24
Michael Mayben

Park the pos on level ground.

Crank that motor.

Pop the fuel level plugs in both bowls out.

Set the fuel levels in both bowls to 1/16" below the threads in each window.

Put the plugs back in.

You have now just did tha "offroad" mods!

If both floats in yore oem 4150 (same as the one in the following pics) are either the brown or the black duracon (closed cell polyfoam) units, then I'd swap 'em out for two new brass floats before making the final float adjustment, the new floats will change all settings. This shit we're havin' ta burn called gasoline today is now eatin' hell outta them duracon floats and makes 'em start ta sink, this comes on very gradually.

Ya want more refinement? Then continue on...

Last edited by Michael Mayben; 09-15-2008 at 08:56 PM..
Old 09-15-2008, 08:52 PM   #25
Michael Mayben

Personally I find the "off road" (spring-loaded) needle/seat unit that Holley markets to not be worthwhile...and they are quite a bit more dinero to purchase than plain old standard assemblies like supplied in the rebuild kits.

I don't use 'em in my own carb and have no problem with offcamber, climbs, downhills, or major full airborne slamdowns!

What can be an issue is raw fuel slosh out the vents in the air horn.

In the pic attached, the primary fuel bowl vent is the larger hole to the left of the air horn. The secondary fuel bowl vent is the "tube" sticking out on the right hand side of the air horn. This carb main body should be exactly the same as yore emissions 4150. This one is a parts donor though and has helped to bring many oem 4150 and 4160 mixers back to life! It was oem on my beater, rode hard and put away wet. It as stored in tha tool shed at one time, roof leaked, the box melted around it. I know it looks like hell, yore's better look better!

Use a pair of needle nose pliers and extract that piece of tube, it'll come right out with a twist.
Attached Images

Last edited by Michael Mayben; 09-15-2008 at 09:25 PM..
Old 09-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #26
Michael Mayben

Git somma that 1/4" nylon "coilee" air hose. One piece will make about forty vent extensions! If yore too dam tightazz after swappin' jobs, then I'll make up several of 'em and mail down to the fwb operation so's ya kin pass 'em out to anybody runnin' 4v holleys.

Don't use that chinee copy coilee hose made outta pvc, it'll melt before yore eyes once tha alkeeholegazz vapors hit it!

Cut a chunk about 6" long, make sure the ends are cut square.

Then cram one end down in that secondary vent hole where ya yanked the tube out. It fits real tight and nice!

Then stick tha other end down tha primary vent hole...won't fit tight but will work perfect anyhoo. Let it rest up agin tha air c leaner stud, won't hurt nuthin', but make sure there is space between the top arc of the new toob and the lid of the air cleaner.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #27
Michael Mayben

On the top of the new toob "arc", drill eight or ten 1/8" diameter holes in tha nylon. But only through the top, do not penetrate the bottom of the toob!

Them holes will now be yore new fuel bowl vents.

Don't know if ya can see them holes in this pic...the new camera is real particular about the lighting setup and I'm still lernin'!

When tha fuel goes ta sloshin' around, it won't drool down tha gullet no more and make it a richrunnin' dam hooty!

All tha other "tricks" that Holley claims for the "truck avenger" series carbs is really marketing bs. The big mod they incorporate is just a fanciazz version of what I just described and that's been a common practice on drag race rigs with heavy "g" force" launch for the last 40 years! Some folks make 'em outta copper toob, steel toob, whatever.

The "notched floats, "vent whistles", jet extensions, etc. Can't be used onna side-hung float system carb like yore's (and mine). That stuff only fits "centerhung" units and those carbs will not bolt-on/clear the thermostat housing onna sv motor.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #28
Michael Mayben

I chopped uppa buncha yeller nylon vent extensions. Gonna punch tha holes in 'em today.

A big bag of 'em will be available at the Sierra Fall Rallye and given away to anyone who wants a party favor!

Whatever is left over will go back to ihon for dispersal.

These May also be used onna Holley 2300 modular carb, either oem-type or the center-hung aftermarket unit.

Ya want sum now trev???

Old 09-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #29
Scoutboy74

Well well well. Carb king is busier n' a he-boar chupacabra with two tallywhackers. Yessiree I'd be raht proud to wrap my greezee mits rount one uh them fancy fume herders. Thanks for the nice right up and pics. No doubt it will help others with this issue as well. I'll get my float levels adjusted just as soon as I resolve my igntion switch/key tumbler discord as outlined in the appropriate thread.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #30
Michael Mayben

Ok, I been up all nite punchin' precision located holes in them yeller peckers with that hi-tek $199 harbor freight drill press/mill since my hourly rate is $0.00 an hour, I kin make these thangs a hailuva lot cheeper than they kin in chimesskiko!

I'll stik a few in tha mail to ya. When cambo gits tired a scruuin' with that junk carb on hiz sii and decides ta put a real mixer on, ya kin whip onena these out on the trail and save hiz day too! Keep sum spares in tha lockbox 'tween tha seats!