IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Carb Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 09-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #76
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10
Default Re: Holley 22XX Series Carb Stuff

Try a fel-pro 60448 gasket for the air horn-to air cleaner junction!

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #77
Erik VanRenselaar

Member Number: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael mayben View Post
...eliminating the egr is an off road deal only (that's legal beagle-speak). It's not imperative that it's done, but is an "enhancement" for performance/drivability. Let's let it go at that! That carb does include a "ported" vacuum source that can operate the egr if a "tee" fitting is placed on the port. That is assuming your egr valve/system still actually works...that's a whole other story! That is the port on the passenger side of the metering block...

I have never been able to get the egr to work correctly (like it does with the 2210c carb installed) when running the #7448. The *ported* vacuum on the #7448 has something like 3" (in/hg) at idle. This is enough to *crack* the egr open at idle and cause rough running.

If I could locate an appropriate rpm-controlled electric vsv (vacuum switching valve), I might be able to get the egr to remain closed at idle and open at cruise rpms.

As for the two-stage power valve in the 2300 carb series: I installed one several years ago, with improved performance results. I drove around with a vaccum gauge and logged the results in order to choose the proper pv. I selected the Holley #125-208 with specs of 10.5" and 5.5".

Over the years, I've also modded my #7448 with an assortment of other goodies...
Erik VanRenselaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:24 PM   #78
RobertC

Member Number: 517

Erik,

many years ago, I recall my mechanic put a small plastic "canister" (3/8" x 3/4"?) in the vacuum line going to the egr valve.

I do not remember (way too long ago) why he put it on or what it is for -- I assume it "modifies" the "vacuum signal"......

I think it is still there, but I have not really paid attention.
RobertC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:00 PM   #79
Erik VanRenselaar

Member Number: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc View Post
erik,

many years ago, I recall my mechanic put a small plastic "canister" (3/8" x 3/4"?) in the vacuum line going to the egr valve.

I do not remember (way too long ago) why he put it on or what it is for -- I assume it "modifies" the "vacuum signal"......

I think it is still there, but I have not really paid attention.
I actually tried a Ford-application inline vacuum delay device, but it didn't work. All it did was to delay the vacuum signal to the egr, but when the engine returned to idle, the ported vacuum still kept the egr cracked open.
Erik VanRenselaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:35 PM   #80
towpainter3

Member Number: 549
Red face Re: Holley 22XX Series Carb Stuff

Hey michael the 60448 p/n is not the one this gasket looks to be for a big 1 barrel or a carter or rochester 2 barrel. Way to small. Ive sent a request to the folks at the carb factory to see if they can help. I went the old chrysler route with the counter monkeys to no avail. About 30 mins of dumb looks was enough. If I find out anything ill post it. Also gonna check with my buddy at the local IH dealer. He's got a stack of those old parts counter catalogs that no one knows how to use anymore. Maybe they'll have a listing we need.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #81
Michael Mayben

If the fp 60448 is incorrect, then the master reference is incorrect also.

Do ya want me ta make ya one? I cut those out of the inside of the pattern I use for the 5-1/8" air horns used on the Holley modular stuff. That way I get two-for-one and have a piece of material left over to make egr blocker gaskets. Very little waste material around here, even the small pieces of that 1/16" material I use to make Scout 80 and 800 fuel tank pickup tube gaskets!

Old 09-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #82
towpainter3

Yes , I would appreciate that very much just let me know what I owe ya and I'll get it in the mail. Hopefully in the next little while I'll be able to find the correct p/n for these ive got my IH guy workin on it but sometimes he's slower than molasses in dec. The folks at the carb factory said they couldnt help either. Let me know where to send ya my address and I'll get it to ya thanks again brad
Old 10-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #83
beastud

Member Number: 616

I also am interested in photos or diagrams of the vacuum hoses for a '76 with a 345 and 2210c if anyone might be able to help.
beastud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #84
Michael Mayben

Sorry I missed this tow!

Send me your snailmail addy to:

rodelizrd@gmail

and I'll send it right out!

Old 10-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #85
Michael Mayben

Welcome to the forum beastud!

Is your application a "CA" model or 49 states?? And I can only "assume" ya mean a Scout II???

Please confirm, I'll see what I can do for ya.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #86
towpainter3

Thumbs up Re: Holley 22XX Series Carb Stuff

Hey michael ,got the gasket and other stuff you included today. Gasket fits perfectly / after I traced it out on some pattern material I have. / will check out the disc later today ,and thanks for the decals. Gonna save em till I get the ol girl a new paint job which is comin soon. Once again thanks. Brad
Old 10-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #87
Michael Mayben

Thought ya might need sum satidy nite entertainment, thus the dvd! That's our bubba dave the gear man entertaining our club at a monthly meeting last November regarding the subject of "IH engine balance"!

And that info (and dave's continued presence at our nightly dinner hour!) has shore come in handy for me just recently regarding my project to document various IH-related flywheel configs!

At our next monthly meeting of IHSTO on nov. 6, dave is gonna ejumakate us regarding "gears"!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #88
ccg1004

Member Number: 676

I too am interested in the vacuum diagrams of the 2210c. I am having a few issues with my carb I think... I recently purchased a remaned 2210c for my '74 345/auto because when I got the truck there was just some random carb on there to make it run. My problem right now is that when I start the truck it takes a little to warm up and idle, but when it is idleing and I put it into gear the truck rpm's die out and the truck dies. So I am beginning to think that I have a vacuum issue. Any suggestions? I am new at this so sorry if I ask redundant questions.
-chris
ccg1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #89
ronmc1954

Member Number: 499

Welcome chris, you've come to the right place there is alot of knowledge here.
I will start with a couple of questions, what is the climate where you live, is this a cold weather starting problem?
Do you have access to a vacuum guage?
We could be looking at a simple choke adjustment.
There is some real experts here and I don't want to just throw out suggestions without some more details.

Again welcome;
ron

1975 Scout11
1974 Scout11
1965 1 ton IH Pickup (sold)
ronmc1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #90
Michael Mayben

We never heard back from beastud regarding the last bit of interrogation I posed so I could send him the correct vacuum hose layout for his application!

This layout is for 49 state model 304 and 345, both Scout II and fullsize (the model differences are noted on the diagram).

And...have you verified that the entire ignition system is up to snuff first??? If not, then do that and see what happens.

As ron mentioned, proper choke setup on these strangulated, superlean emissions rigs is very important, since the po botched the oem carb, what did he/she/it do about the choke setup?

The oem choke system for that combo you have is a "divorced" design, so the choke stove must be present and operational in the intake manifold, the link from the stove to the choke lever must be installed and "adjusted", and the choke pulloff must be operational and adjusted also. The choke must work correctly for proper cold start no matter what the climatic conditions, and it must also pull off correctly as the choke stove reaches full warm position and keep the choke plate open after warmup

the m/y 1974 was a pivotal point not only for IH but all oem light duty vehicle manufacturers as the federal and cal emissions specs created some real challenges drivability-wise.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 49 State 304_345 Vacuum Diagram.PDF (1.73 MB, 657 views)

Last edited by Michael Mayben; 11-19-2008 at 08:11 PM..