IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > IH Parts America Area > IH Parts America Build-Ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #31
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner
 
ihpartsjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member Number: 1
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Age: 44
Posts: 4,142
Default Re: IH Parts Americas 1-Ton Travelall

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve grant View Post
inspiring!!!! I am interested in the leaf springs you installed on your Travelall. I have a '72 1210 that was a 2wd from the factory, but was converted to a 4wd, with a Dana 60 front end. How much are those springs??
They are GM leafsprings and we do sell them individually for roughly $160 a pack but they are not a direct bolt in. The fronts as seen in the build needed new hangers fabricated for the front. What I didn't mention is that the bushings for the front shackle hanger were some left over bushings that I already had and modified to fit both the hangar and the GM spring so they are not an off the shelf(that I know of). The rear GM leafsprings use a smaller bolt in the shackle and spring eye. I had to press out the bushings and install new ones with the proper dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka toy View Post
this is an awesome build! It gives me much to consider and look forward to, in building mine. I am curious if any of these parts will become available to purchase? Those sliders and the bumper are awesome! And I'd be interested in a pair of those front spring mounts you made.

I'd also like to ask about that fuel tank. I've thought of installing one there, and having the stock tank feed into it, or maybe a separate filler. Not sure exactly just yet. But I'd like some more info on that tank and the install please.

I'm sure there's more, but I'll have to go through this posting again. Oh twist my arm! Lol!
Thanks for the comments. The sliders are honestly trail gear brand that we are gauging interest on. If we get enough requests we will make them available as either a kit or fully assembled as we have been working with tg on becoming a dealer. The rear bumper was a one off custom but I can have it made here in the shop. The front hangers I'll be having made soon enough. Either way best to call us for ordering details.

Not much more to offer information wise on the fuel tank. Its the only one we've done and what info I posted on the build up is really all I have on that.
__________________

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #32
Steve Grant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Member Number: 1165
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 137
Default Re: IH Parts Americas 1-Ton Travelall

Jeff, I will be getting with you on those springs. Do you also sell the draglink that you used for steering? Do have the dimensions for the spring hangers for the front? My truck has the rear spring hangers at the 2wd position.
Steve Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #33
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner
 
ihpartsjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member Number: 1
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Age: 44
Posts: 4,142
Default Re: IH Parts Americas 1-Ton Travelall

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve grant View Post
Jeff, I will be getting with you on those springs. Do you also sell the draglink that you used for steering? Do have the dimensions for the spring hangers for the front? My truck has the rear spring hangers at the 2wd position.
Like the build says it was a off the shelf item that I modified. As for the hanger that is something that we will be producing and selling so I'd rather not give out dimensions on it.
__________________

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #34
MarkO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member Number: 740
Location: Winlock, WA
Posts: 459
Default Re: IH Parts Americas 1-Ton Travelall

It was impressive when I saw it in person at the Binder Bee.

I wish I had the time and resources to do something similar with my '65 t-all.
MarkO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #35
Bo185
Member
 
Bo185's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Member Number: 3670
Posts: 39
Default Re: IH Parts Americas 1-Ton Travelall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
they are GM leafsprings and we do sell them individually for roughly $160 a pack but they are not a direct bolt in.

The fronts as seen in the build needed new hangers fabricated for the front.
Why did you mod the front hangers the GM mid 80's Rough Country springs I bought from you bolted right up with my GM Dana 60 and IH front hangers and mine was a 2wd truck orginally so it had a rear hanger in the 2wd position already.
I had to fab 4'' long rear shackles for the fronts shackles and that's it!

Also the rear axle placement its alittle fwd of the rear wheel well. I planed on reduein my perches but because mine were 1 tons they bolted with up with not need to adjust the perches. But I was going to use a multi hole percher to move the axle back a little in the perches to get it to fit the wheel better.

I wouldn't recommend the rc springs they are well rough riding!! And these trucks look taller in the front due to the larger wheel well opening. I think a 6'' rear with 4'' front spring would work best lift wise, it will give a truck slight rake and it will look better. I plan to remove a leaf from a fronts one for a better ride an the other to lower it a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
what I didn't mention is that the bushings for the front shackle hanger were some left over bushings that I already had and modified to fit both the hangar and the GM spring so they are not an off the shelf(that I know of). The rear GM leafsprings use a smaller bolt in the shackle and spring eye. I had to press out the bushings and install new ones with the proper dimensions.
I simply reemed the GM bushings for the larger IH bolts. Worked like a champ took 5 min to do them all.


But I would really like to know were the rear upper shock mounts came off of?? I hate the ones I made the shock is pretty short in the IH config. They look like mid 80s GM's that what I was going to use. One day I will re due my rear shock for sure!!!
__________________
-73 Scout II- GM Vortec 6.0L 4L65E NP241
-73 1210 Travelette SV392, T-34, D60/14b, 4.56's.
-01 VW TDI Beetle- 50mpg or better
-55 Chevy 210 Delray 235/3sp
-56 Chevy Belair 4 door hardtop*next project* 5.3/4l60/3.08's
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:58 AM   #36
Steve Grant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Member Number: 1165
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 137
Default Re: IH Parts Americas 1-Ton Travelall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
like the build says it was a off the shelf item that I modified. As for the hanger that is something that we will be producing and selling so I'd rather not give out dimensions on it.
Understood on the dimensions, I will keep my eyes out on when you start selling the hangers. Great job on the truck.
Steve Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #37
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner
 
ihpartsjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member Number: 1
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Age: 44
Posts: 4,142
Default Re: IH Parts Americas 1-Ton Travelall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo185 View Post
why did you mod the front hangers the GM mid 80's Rough Country springs I bought from you bolted right up with my GM Dana 60 and IH front hangers and mine was a 2wd truck orginally so it had a rear hanger in the 2wd position already.
I had to fab 4'' long rear shackles for the fronts shackles and that's it!
Even though the springs fit the front hangers I didn't like how they fit hence why I made new ones. I also was doing some r&d for future kits and the majority of the trucks I have come across in the past 20 plus years that I have been doing this usually have worn, bent or rusty front hangers.

When I first did the lift my 4" shackles bottomed out on the bottom of the frame so I had to switch them out to 5" shackles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo185 View Post
also the rear axle placement its alittle fwd of the rear wheel well. I planed on reduein my perches but because mine were 1 tons they bolted with up with not need to adjust the perches. But I was going to use a multi hole percher to move the axle back a little in the perches to get it to fit the wheel better.
I ran into the same problem with the rear axle being too far forward. It worked fine but I had one too many people walk up to me in oregon at the Binder Bee and ask why my rear end was so far forward. When I got back from that trip and had it up on the lift doing the exhaust I also took the time to move the rear axle back one inch. I fortunately already had replaced the perchs with the three bolt style so moving it back the inch was easy. For guys with stock d60 rear ends they don't have this option(without installing new perchs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo185 View Post
I wouldn't recommend the rc springs they are well rough riding!! And these trucks look taller in the front due to the larger wheel well opening. I think a 6'' rear with 4'' front spring would work best lift wise, it will give a truck slight rake and it will look better. I plan to remove a leaf from a fronts one for a better ride an the other to lower it a little.
My Travelall rides decent but I agree I wish the ride were better on the biggest bumps. I too agree that the 4" lift front springs with the 6" rears would make the rig sit more level but out here in CA we like that nose high prerunner look. Next time I lift a fullsize I want to try 4" lift GM springs front and rear and keep the factory rear lift blocks and see how it rides compared to the 6" springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo185 View Post
I simply reemed the GM bushings for the larger IH bolts. Worked like a champ took 5 min to do them all.
I'm guessing you're talking about the rear springs?? I tried reaming one and immediately tore up an expensive drill bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo185 View Post
but I would really like to know were the rear upper shock mounts came off of?? I hate the ones I made the shock is pretty short in the IH config. They look like mid 80s GM's that what I was going to use. One day I will re due my rear shock for sure!!!
I figured the IH 74'-75' pickups had the shocks this way for a reason so I thought I would go that way too. When I torched the hitch off I left a piece of angle iron that was being used as a crossmember for the hitch but was now doing nothing. Some shock tabs were welded to it and that side was done. The other side that I mounted inside the frame rail I honestly have no idea what it came off of. When working on another project I was looking for some short shock towers. I looked around in the dorman book one day and saw those and ordered one in. It didn't work out on that project and was sitting in the return box when I dug it out and found it would work great for this project.
__________________

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #38
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner
 
ihpartsjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member Number: 1
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Age: 44
Posts: 4,142
Default Re: IH Parts Americas 1-Ton Travelall

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
it was impressive when I saw it in person at the Binder Bee.

I wish I had the time and resources to do something similar with my '65 t-all.
Thanks Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve grant View Post
understood on the dimensions, I will keep my eyes out on when you start selling the hangers. Great job on the truck.
Thanks steve!
__________________

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #39
Steve Grant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Member Number: 1165
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 137
Default Re: IH Parts Americas 1-Ton Travelall

Anytime Jeff. I agree with making new spring hangers, the factory spring hangers holes wear out. Jeff, '74-'75 rear shocks were staggered from the factory to control wheel hop. I saw that in a factory brochure.
Steve Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #40
Tonka Toy
Senior Member
 
Tonka Toy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member Number: 635
Location: Busily preparing my Idaho hidden bunker
Posts: 129
Default Re: IH Parts Americas 1-Ton Travelall

I urge you Jeff, to put the spring hangar kit out first. I need to swap out my toasted old springs, and I think one of my front hangars is bent. I'll be swapping in some new springs I got form dan hayes. Some 1210's with about 1.5" of lift, iirc. Will I need to relocate or lengthen my shackles with the placement of the new front mounts? Tanks!
__________________
Procrastination is your friend, because if you run out of projects, you die.

My 76 Scout 2/Dodge 360 repower pictures here: http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...wer%20Project/

72 1110 Travel-All "for the wife", family outing rig.
Tonka Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #41
Smith
Member
 
Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Member Number: 5314
Location: Canada
Posts: 48
Default Re: IH Parts Americas 1-Ton Travelall

Nice build! You made a really nice clean rig!
Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #42
Bo185
Member
 
Bo185's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Member Number: 3670
Posts: 39
Default Re: IH Parts Americas 1-Ton Travelall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
even though the springs fit the front hangers I didn't like how they fit hence why I made new ones. I also was doing some r&d for future kits and the majority of the trucks I have come across in the past 20 plus years that I have been doing this usually have worn, bent or rusty front hangers.
This is true it would be a bolt in option at that point as the IH hangers are narrower then what the gms with bushings are you either have to trim the bushings or run narrow ones to fit the IH hanger, the ihparts hangers would fix that issue and bolt on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
When I first did the lift my 4" shackles bottomed out on the bottom of the frame so I had to switch them out to 5" shackles.
I mocked up with 4'' ones 4'' and I would have had frame issues I set mine up with 4.25''. And have some minor frame contact but only when wheeling it very hard. I also ran grade 8 bolts in everything I could.

The biggest factor shackle wise is with the stock divorced 205 and a 6'' lift is ujoint angle. Mine is alittle off at the pinion and I get vibrations above 50mpg with front hubs locked. I looked at 5'' shackles and it would have made the caster and ujoint angle worst imo. 4'' springs would help that area out and I hope to gain some at the shackles and ujoint when I lower it by removing a leaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
I ran into the same problem with the rear axle being too far forward. I fortunately already had replaced the perchs with the three bolt style so moving it back the inch was easy. For guys with stock d60 rear ends they don't have this option(without installing new perchs).
Three bolts are a must with a fullsize. My donor 14 bolt was a cucv 1 ton so perch width was perfect in those axles. But I have the center alignment with bed problem. I will fix this issue when I swap in a GM aam 10.5 which is a 14bolt with discs and ebrake setup just the newest 14 bolt. And I will get the three bolt perches and have disc rear.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
My Travelall rides decent but I agree I wish the ride were better on the biggest bumps. I too agree that the 4" lift front springs with the 6" rears would make the rig sit more level but out here in CA we like that nose high prerunner look. Next time I lift a fullsize I want to try 4" lift GM springs front and rear and keep the factory rear lift blocks and see how it rides compared to the 6" springs..
With mine I got a full 6'' front lift and 2'' lift rear as I removed the 4'' blocks and the truck had a 2'' tail high rake to begin with. My frame sets level. I need to get the arkansas rake back! Lol

I wish I would have got lighter spring rate springs. Especially for the front. I got bbc springs thinking heavy sv, they flat out suck. I think lighter spring rate would help even with the sv motor. I think even 1/2 tons spring would ride like a caddy but might sag over time.
Be carefully with the blocks as you will get more lift in the rear with 4'' on top and have axle wrap.

On your Travelall. You might try removing a leaf in the rear and adding alittle air to the bags and see if that helps with ride as well.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
I'm guessing you're talking about the rear springs?? I tried reaming one and immediately tore up an expensive drill bit.
Yeah that was the rears. I opened them with a drill bit them used a reamer to get final size. For the front shackles I simply drilled the shackle hole for the GM springs. So smaller bolt on spring and IH bolt on top. Works great.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
I figured the IH 74'-75' pickups had the shocks this way for a reason so I thought I would go that way too. When I torched the hitch off I left a piece of angle iron that was being used as a crossmember for the hitch but was now doing nothing..
I redo mine when I do the axle swap. I though I had seen the GM mid 80s truck looked just like those. But I can fab something up.
__________________
-73 Scout II- GM Vortec 6.0L 4L65E NP241
-73 1210 Travelette SV392, T-34, D60/14b, 4.56's.
-01 VW TDI Beetle- 50mpg or better
-55 Chevy 210 Delray 235/3sp
-56 Chevy Belair 4 door hardtop*next project* 5.3/4l60/3.08's
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #43
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner
 
ihpartsjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member Number: 1
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Age: 44
Posts: 4,142
Default Re: IH Parts Americas 1-Ton Travelall

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka toy View Post
I urge you Jeff, to put the spring hangar kit out first. I need to swap out my toasted old springs, and I think one of my front hangars is bent. I'll be swapping in some new springs I got form dan hayes. Some 1210's with about 1.5" of lift, iirc. Will I need to relocate or lengthen my shackles with the placement of the new front mounts? Tanks!
If I understand your question correctly the front hangers that I came up with still located the spring in the same position.

But to clarify what do you mean by "some 1210's with about 1.5" of lift"? Are you going to use IH springs or GM springs like I used?
__________________

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #44
Tonka Toy
Senior Member
 
Tonka Toy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member Number: 635
Location: Busily preparing my Idaho hidden bunker
Posts: 129
Default Re: IH Parts Americas 1-Ton Travelall

I'm going to use the IH springs that I already have first. If there's an issue with ride quality or whatever, then I'll consider other options. But for the front, the plan is to install the better hangar up front (thanks to you), and see what I get. And if the ride height works for us, then I'll get the 62's for the rear and fab mounts that gives me the right rake without a lift block. I might need some lifted springs to do it, but that's the plan.
__________________
Procrastination is your friend, because if you run out of projects, you die.

My 76 Scout 2/Dodge 360 repower pictures here: http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...wer%20Project/

72 1110 Travel-All "for the wife", family outing rig.
Tonka Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #45
PacificEd
Member
 
PacificEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Member Number: 541
Location: Bradyville, TN
Posts: 45
Default Re: IH Parts Americas 1-Ton Travelall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
as for the hanger that is something that we will be producing and selling so I'd rather not give out dimensions on it.
I'm interested in a set of the front hangers. Any word on how long until they will be available?

Excellent build thread.
__________________
Ed

1973 IH 1110 4x4 pickup
PacificEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:11 PM.