IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Suspension Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 08-31-2015, 12:02 AM   #1
Tonka Toy

Member Number: 635
Default D series GM spring/axle swap questions

I've read a ton of stuff on the internet about how this is done. Well folks, I think that it's time we put the final touches to this for a how to guide. My 72 1110 is getting upgraded. New GM 14 bolt ff axle, with k20 springs. I want to start with the rear, since it's what I'm trying to do first. The plan for this truck is not to make a huge monster out of it. I want my short legged wife to not complain about how hard it is to get in, etc. I want to run a 33" tire. Can someone tell me how much spring rate and lift I would need? I also want to eliminate the lift blocks.

Thanks!

Jeff easterbrook

My 76 Scout 2/Dodge 360 repower pictures here: http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...wer%20Project/

72 1110 Travel-All "for the wife", family outing rig.
Tonka Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:55 AM   #2
Tonka Toy

Member Number: 635
Default Re: D series GM spring/axle swap questions

update!

After about 3 months in the garage, and far too much trial and error, I have a functioning truck again! Yay!!! But we're not quite out of the woods yet, as they say. In regards to the original posting, the GM stock leafs for a 73-80 GM truck are rather flat. (81 and up springs are longer on the top leaf. Buyer beware ) I had to use a 2.5" lift block to get the truck to sit right. The goal tire diameter is 33". I hear that the stock d series can run those on stock springs. Well, those stock springs much have a bit more arch in them than the GM springs. Because right now I have 33's under the back, and the 2.5" lift block. And I have 3/4 ton IH front springs with about 1" lift built into them, holding up the front, with 31" tires on the original d44. and the truck sits level!

after going back to the local spring shop, and going over what I really wanted, they suggested to decide on the amount of lift that I want and bring the springs in for rearching. This is where we get back to a similar question to the original one. I have to replace the front mounts on the front springs, as they're damaged. The IHPA new front mount kit should do, but I have to go to to the GM springs to make it work. So, up front the goal is GM springs and GM Dana 44, for obvious reasons. I see that they installed 4" lifted springs on the IHPA big blue buildup. If I put stock arch springs up front, will my truck sit level?

Thanks! 😎👍

My 76 Scout 2/Dodge 360 repower pictures here: http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...wer%20Project/

72 1110 Travel-All "for the wife", family outing rig.
Tonka Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
PacificEd

Member Number: 541

What rear springs did you use? It sounds like stock with a 2.5" block.

I've always heard that a 4" Chevy kit will net half that amount on an IH truck.

1973 IH 1110 4x4 pickup
PacificEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #4
JAYSON

Member Number: 704

Bump anybody know the stock d series spring specs or measurements front and rear?