IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 05-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
Tahoedonner

Member Number: 2382
Default Project Karma

I bought a 72 Scout 2 when I was a sophmore in high school in 1998. It was my favorite thing on earth but was slightly neglected because I was so young. Brought that Scout to college with me and still kept it for 5 years after while I was getting my feet wet in the working world. 3 years ago I was, not forced, to sell said Scout to the tow truck driver for $500 because that was the 4th time in 6 years it had been towed. Total bill for all 4 tows was about $4000. I have regreted it ever since. Today, however, everything has come full circle. I scored the deal of the century through a friend, of a friend, of a friend, of a friend, of a friend. Got myself a pretty solid '79 for $500. At this time I only have 1 picture. Here she is. I look forward to conversing with all of you in the future as I am, and have always been, a Scout nut. More details on the tear down and build up to follow over the next 2 to 5 years.

Here is my original '72 from high school circa '95 yes I took my girlfriend to prom in a Scout.

Here is my Christmas gift from my wife, not my prom date. Needless to say it is one of the best gifts ever!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Image.jpg (96.8 KB, 4176 views)
File Type: jpg mail.jpg (57.9 KB, 3105 views)
File Type: jpg photo (2).jpg (38.0 KB, 2761 views)

Last edited by Tahoedonner; 01-22-2016 at 10:34 AM..
Tahoedonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Fourwheeleraz

Member Number: 3384
Default Re: Project Karma

Looks like you have a good project for the next 2-5 years. What do you plan on doing with the Scout, as far as the re-build goes?
Fourwheeleraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
Tahoedonner

Finally got the beast towed home from placerville. It's a little more beat up then I had previously thought. But still worth the $500. Especially since it has a clean title. Oil in the 345 looks good. I will be changing out the plugs and wires this weekend in hopes that I can fire this thing up and see how it runs. Hasn't been started in 5 years says the po. Wiring in the engine bay looks a little shotty.

Anyone know what all the white stuff is caked around my carb?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 798.jpg (60.5 KB, 3881 views)
File Type: jpg 796.jpg (69.2 KB, 3883 views)
File Type: jpg 785.jpg (45.6 KB, 3801 views)
File Type: jpg 800.jpg (62.7 KB, 3847 views)

Last edited by Tahoedonner; 01-22-2016 at 10:47 AM..
Old 06-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
1975IH200

Member Number: 731

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoedonner View Post
Anyone know what all the white stuff is caked around my carb?
Corrosion. Your carter thermo-quad carburator has an aluminum throttle body (base) & metering cover (top). Aluminum does not rust, but it does corrode.
You can be sure the interior of your carb is just as bad looking.

My Junk --> 1975 "200HD" AWD Truck
My Cave location --> Western North Carolina
1975IH200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
ronmc1954

Member Number: 499

Welcome back to the insanity lol that Scout looks pretty good from what I can see.
If it has been sitting for 5 years you might want to look at this thread for engines that have been sitting.
http://www.forums.IHPartsAmerica.com...-assembly.html

Good luck with your build.

Ron

1975 Scout11
1974 Scout11
1965 1 ton IH Pickup (sold)
ronmc1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Tahoedonner

Thanks for that thread ron. Ordered up the oil pump drive tool and some valve cover gaskets today from ihon. Looks like I will have everything needed soon to accomplish the initial start up correctly. Last thing I want to do is screw something up. In that thread someone posted about getting rid of the old gas. I'm pretty (90%) sure that the tank is empty. Is there some product recommended to dump in with some new gas? Should I put on a new fuel filter before I try and start it the first time? I have a feeling I'm asking questions that have already been answered but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:30 AM   #7
ronmc1954

Member Number: 499

That sounds great, the big concern is the cam bearings as michael said in his post. As far as gas, you can just thump the tank and you should be able to tell if it's empty. Any gas in there is probably bad and it would be best if you dumped it out. But if there is not very much you could just add some and be alright. Just make sure you have a filter on the tank side of the fuel pump! Keep in mind how old this gas tank is they rust inside if not used for length time.
You could also disconect the line at the fuel pump and stick it in a bucket, then have someone stick an air hose in the filler neck and seal with a rag and apply "some" pressure, not alot, and force the gas out the line in the bucket, if the is any.
Good luck
ron

1975 Scout11
1974 Scout11
1965 1 ton IH Pickup (sold)
ronmc1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
Scooter

Member Number: 917

Welcome back to the insanety of Scout ownership - lol - unless we all consider it the sane thing to do is owning a Scout.

Redwood city is a hop, skip and a jump from where I'm located. That is if you're in califunkia. If ya need help wrenching, feal free to look me up. I just recently completed the spring over conversion on my 74 Scout II and took it down to hollister last week. When I get time, I'll post a thread of my build up.
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
Tahoedonner

Thanks scooter,

I will definitley be needing some help once I start getting to the fun stuff. Right now I am dealing with all the issues of buying a non-running lawn ornament. I believe I might need to edit my original post of "deal of the century".

Oddly enough I think I was looking at your build on another site last night.

Cheers
Old 08-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #10
vancetater

Member Number: 3437

Looks like some fun work to do hope u dont got to much rust
vancetater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
Scooter

Member Number: 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoedonner View Post
thanks scooter,

I will definitley be needing some help once I start getting to the fun stuff. Right now I am dealing with all the issues of buying a non-running lawn ornament. I believe I might need to edit my original post of "deal of the century".

Oddly enough I think I was looking at your build on another site last night.

Cheers
I can relate to that huge door stopping of a non-running lawn tractor. Kinda how I received my daily driven 74 about 7 years ago, but for free. The previous owner had no clue what he was doing. Long story being short - after doing a lot of work in stages, I finally had the opportunity to head up to the rubicon with it this last weekend. Except for carburation issues, my Scout handled awsome.

Only other place I May have posted any of my build up is over on a gaming forum. I keep meaning to post up a thread of my build up over here. Just been a tad bit busy lately to do so.
Fun fun
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works

Last edited by Scooter; 10-19-2011 at 09:48 AM..
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
Tahoedonner

Haven't updated in awhile so here it goes:

changed the oil and all was well but did notice that the radiator was bone dry. Not worried though because it sat for so long. Followed the instructions on Maybens old iron doc and had both rockers oiling well. Buttoned her all back up and put some water in the radiator. Uh oh, tons of water coming out underneath. Never even occured to me to check the freeze plugs. Easy fix though because the one behind the starter was completely missing. Much easier to replace when you don't have to pull it out. So more water into the radiator. Damn, more water coming out. This time from the drivers side. Not so lucky here though. Two rusted out freeze plugs on this side. To get to the front one I needed to remove the oil filter. Here is where things go wrong. As I am loosening the filter I notice some water coming out of the filter. Hmmm, that's interesting. I decide that I would loosen the drain plug before pulling the filter to see if there is also water in the oil pan. You bet there is and lots of it. Well, there goes my plans of getting this thing running and playing with the suspension first. Probably for the better though. I've since pulled off all the engine accesories and found a ton of rust all throughout the cooling system. I've added a couple pics of what I found under the surface.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0150.jpg (61.4 KB, 3772 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0192.jpg (53.5 KB, 3724 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0195.jpg (53.3 KB, 3732 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0191.jpg (46.1 KB, 3719 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0189.jpg (57.6 KB, 3724 views)

Last edited by Tahoedonner; 01-22-2016 at 10:51 AM..
Old 09-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #13
Tahoedonner

Got my welder extension cord done tonight. It's a 3-prong dryer plug to 220 outlet.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
Tahoedonner

Update on the old beat up engine that was leaking water into the pan. Pulled the valley pan and found a huge crack in the block. Time to find a new block.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0250.jpg (46.3 KB, 3302 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0251.jpg (59.6 KB, 3708 views)

Last edited by Tahoedonner; 01-22-2016 at 10:56 AM..
Old 01-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #15
Tahoedonner

Finished sanding and grinding down the frame and coated it with eastwood extreme chassis black paint and primer. Really like how it turned out. Won't know how tough the paint is till I get this thing on the street but it is supposed to be very durable. This is 2 coats of primer and 3 top coats.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0278.jpg (41.8 KB, 3679 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0279.jpg (42.3 KB, 3632 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0280.jpg (48.3 KB, 3652 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0281.jpg (43.7 KB, 3662 views)

Last edited by Tahoedonner; 01-22-2016 at 10:58 AM..