IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 03-19-2015, 07:48 AM   #151
Cowtron

Member Number: 7360
Default Re: Project Karma

How is all the eastwood paint holding up on the various parts? I see that you painted a some of it a couple years ago, anything to report? I'm trying to browse through and "borrow" some ideas from y'all :d
Old 03-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #152
Tahoedonner

Member Number: 2382

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtron View Post
how is all the eastwood paint holding up on the various parts? I see that you painted a some of it a couple years ago, anything to report? I'm trying to browse through and "borrow" some ideas from y'all :d
Considering it hasn't been driven more than 3 miles it's really hard to tell. Im about 1-2 months away from getting it registered so I will know much more come sept how it'll hold up. It is however holding up quite well with no abuse.

'79 Scout II, 345, Work in progress

Build Thread: http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/forums...ect-karma.html

'72 Scout II, no engine/trans, new from Scooter
Tahoedonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:35 AM   #153
punjig

Member Number: 1112

I have been following your build for awhile and I know that in the past you had problems with heating issues. I am curious as to what model flex-a-lite fans you did get for this build? Also, what aftermarket radiator you ended up with. The radiator is a main issue, while I can find them on the market just fine, some are very expensive and others seem price to low as though the quality May come into question.

The World Is Full Of Kings And Queens, Who'll Blind Your Eyes And Steal Your Dreams!!! Heaven And Hell R.I.P. RJD
punjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #154
Tahoedonner

Quote:
Originally Posted by punjig View Post
I have been following your build for awhile and I know that in the past you had problems with heating issues. I am curious as to what model flex-a-lite fans you did get for this build? Also, what aftermarket radiator you ended up with. The radiator is a main issue, while I can find them on the market just fine, some are very expensive and others seem price to low as though the quality May come into question.
The fans are flex-a-lite 392 s blade 12" fans. They just barely fit, width wise, over the radiator. Could have easily gone with 10" fans. I am having absolutely no cooling issues anymore.

Radiator is a champion radiator. No issues with it either.

My cooling issues were mostly due to not having a shroud for the engine mounted fan and some air trapped in the system. Due to my body lift I decided that going with the electric fans was a better avenue for me. I am controlling them with a dual speed fan controller as well.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #155
Tahoedonner

Got a new windshield installed this morning. Seal was from IH parts, non chrome locking version, and the installer was very impressed with its quality. Seal is tight as all hell and that's a good thing. The list is becoming very short to get this thing registered.

Here's a couple pics:

old

New

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Windshield old1.jpg (36.2 KB, 779 views)
File Type: jpg Windshield old2.jpg (41.0 KB, 786 views)
File Type: jpg Windshield old3.jpg (36.4 KB, 572 views)
File Type: jpg Windshield new2.jpg (44.9 KB, 790 views)
File Type: jpg Windshield new1.jpg (41.2 KB, 784 views)

Old 04-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #156
Tahoedonner

Finally got around to installing the shocks. Been driving it up and down my block a bunch lately and realized that it would be nice to see how it rides with some shocks. Unfortunately I sprung a leak at the water neck gasket so I didn't get to take it for a spin. Easy fix though. I don't think I replaced the lower gasket last time I swapped out the thermostat.

Rear view: I installed them body down because I was told it technically won't matter and I didn't want to look at the scrunched up shock boots.

Here you can see how close the boot comes to the exhaust. I've ordered some heat shields to make sure that the boot doesn't melt and that there won't be any other problems associated with the proximity to exhaust heat.

Here is a look at the fronts installed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0974.jpg (46.6 KB, 757 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0975.jpg (48.1 KB, 773 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0976.jpg (37.6 KB, 745 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0977.jpg (51.8 KB, 746 views)

Old 04-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #157
Tahoedonner

A huge turning point happened last Friday. The truck is finally registered. It's been almost 4 years since I started this build and I see a smidgen of light at the end of the tunnel. Now I can take her out and really fine tune the engine. I have a month to get the smog done and I don't see any problems passing. Knock on wood.

Got the heater core installed and new plastic valve. Old chords were in really good shape and have no binding whatsoever.

Heater valve and core

Attached Images

Old 04-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #158
Tahoedonner

Picked up some titanium heat shield for the shocks to protect them from the exhaust pipes. Truck was having a real tough time idling after it started today and after shut down I noticed that gas had pooled in the secondaries. I could also feel gas leaking out somewhere around the vacuum secondary screw as well. Going to pull the bowl tomorrow and check the needle and seat to see if it has stuck open.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heat wrap 1.jpg (50.8 KB, 716 views)
File Type: jpg Heat wrap pass.jpg (44.8 KB, 688 views)

Old 04-25-2015, 08:52 PM   #159
Tahoedonner

Wife came home today and noticed the truck missing from the garage. Took it for a 20 min ride today. She found me.

Transmission is shifting great. Ran it up to 50mph. Definitely needs an alignment. Shocks made a huge difference in ride quality. Not surprising considering I had none on before. Engine is running really strong. This 345 w/ 3.73 and 35's and the 727 has a ton more power than my original manual 304 with 33's. Granted that engine wasn't in the greatest shape. Off to get a smog here in the next week or so.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg scout is on the road2.jpg (54.4 KB, 699 views)
File Type: jpg on the road 1.jpg (37.4 KB, 670 views)

Old 04-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #160
Tahoedonner

Had decent exhaust leaks coming from the collector and manifold attachment on each side. Replaced the cheap bolts the guy used with some grade 8's and some lock washers. Still a decent amount of leakage. Figured the guy must have screwed up the installation of the donuts. Turns out he didn't use them at all. 2 on order.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #161
Tahoedonner

Finally got the donuts sealed up nice and tight. Took about three cycles of engine heating to get a perfect seal. Absolutely no exhaust leak now. The donuts are victor reinz f7395. They do not have the sleeve. Decided on these after reading a bunch of threads.

Have been having a slight leak at the trans cooler line fittings and finally got fed up with all the fiddling and decided to just replace the lines and fittings with 6 an stainless braided ptfe hose. Not a drip anymore. I ran them in the same position as the hard lines to keep them away from the exhaust.

All that is left before smog next weekend is to reinstall all the vac lines to the engine. Charcoal canister. Heat exchanger thingy on the passenger side. Will pop on an old air cleaner for the test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exhaust Donut Installed.jpg (60.7 KB, 659 views)
File Type: jpg Trans Lines Radiator.jpg (61.5 KB, 660 views)
File Type: jpg Trans Lines Under.jpg (38.4 KB, 652 views)

Old 05-31-2015, 04:39 PM   #162
Tahoedonner

Smog update

took the rig in for it's first smog and failed instantly because, through all my planning, I screwed up and bought a cd ignition box and coil that weren't carb certified. I have no idea how I pulled that off but there wasn't anything I could do but buy new parts. Bought and installed a new msd box and msd coil and took her down for the second go around. She passed everything with flying colors except for the evap test. Essentially the only parts that I haven't replaced were the fuel lines and the lines running to the evap canister in the rear. Turns out gas cap failed as well. The good news is I wanted to drop the tank and test the sender as it doesn't seem to be working correctly. Going to drop the tank tonight and replace all the lines, paint, and reinstall for it's final smog check. Those were the only problems remaining. Been logging some decent road time recently so it's been fun.

Here's what she looks like as of now. Still no hood.
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2015, 12:04 AM   #163
Tahoedonner

Failed the evap test so it was time to drop the tank and replace every hose that connects the tank with the engine, smog canister, and evap canister. Had to rip away my perfectly glued down carpeting to get to the access panel for the evap canister but there was no other option. Evap canister, after being washed off with water, was in pristine condition. There are a couple hoses that connect at the top, way up inside the fender, that are only reachable by removing the access panel. Bought 50' of gates barricade hose thinking I would have plenty (20+' left over). Replaced all tank to evap canister connections (5). Also replaced the 6th evap connection that runs to the charcoal canister under the hood. Replaced the fuel feed line that runs from tank to fuel pump. I ended up with abuout 3' of hose left over. My gas gauge hadn't been working and I was afraid the float was defective. Turns out the old wiring connections at the sender were the culprit. New wiring was run off the original sender and the gauge now works like a champ. Sanded down and painted very thing with eastwood chassis paint. Everything is new and tight.

Today I passed California smog completely. 4 years after starting this build I finally have the ability to drive this beast wherever I want. Lots more to finish but this is the biggest lesson of patience I have ever endured.

Couple pics of the tank process:

freshly painted tank:

Tank ready for install

Evap canister after cleaning. Was in perfect condition

New tank wiring connections

Is there anything more exciting than freshly painted gas tank straps?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender(1).jpg (58.3 KB, 575 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender(2).jpg (65.9 KB, 572 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender(3).jpg (109.9 KB, 571 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender(4).jpg (60.0 KB, 574 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender(5).jpg (112.8 KB, 566 views)

Old 06-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #164
RMScout

Member Number: 5653

Looking nice. Seems kind of ridiculous that an aftermarket ignition is a no go. It's not like you changed the advance curve.
RMScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #165
punjig

Member Number: 1112

awesome
I'm glad you finally got over the long haul and over the big hump!!!
These dam ihes are a test of patience for sure!

The World Is Full Of Kings And Queens, Who'll Blind Your Eyes And Steal Your Dreams!!! Heaven And Hell R.I.P. RJD
punjig is offline   Reply With Quote