IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 03-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #31
Josh Shoemaker

Member Number: 1418
Default Re: Almost 39 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc View Post
hmmm, that takes shade-tree work arounds to a new level...

Some year's ihs had a hot air choke (michael mayben will know the years / more.). There was a pipe fitting there in the manifold and a "hose" / "pipe" that ran to the choke on the carburetor.

New exhaust manifolds come with that hole in them and you usually fill it with a pipe plug.

Curious question -- I have been following your work and do not know why you decided to switch frames -- obviously the one on the green Scout must be "toast"???

The frame on the green Scout is ok. The reason that I am going to build off of this frame is when I start to removeing the fenders I will have them sandblasted, patch if needed and then undercoated on the inside. Same with the tub. Then I can just put everything on this frame. Mainly due to the fact that it is already to be sandblasted and painted. And the fact that the 2 scouts are over 75 miles apart. Then when I get it going I can take my motor and rebuild it along with the transmission, have them painted.

Then I can install a better setup for 31" tires with better axles for the frame on the green Scout. After I get that it would be just a matter of swapping the body parts. Then I can sell the rolling chasis from the other Scout.

Some where in North Carolina I purchased 2 miles of D.O.T. Flowers.
Josh Shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #32
Josh Shoemaker

Got some progress today. We sandblasted the frame and painted it.

Picked up a helpful tool this week. I knew that I would be having to sandblast the frame and I want to get the underneath of the body also. So I have thought about getting a rotesserie. I found one on ebay last week just up the road about 2 hours. Shot the guy a email about wanting to look at it. Drove out there and seemed to be pretty good and came back with it.

Put it to work today. And it was well worth the money. I picked it up for $700.00 when I have been looking and finding for about double that. It made blasting and painting this frame alot easier than trying to put it up on saw horses and filping it.

Got the axles removed today and the frame ready to be blasted.

Got the frame bolted to the rotesserie and up on the side to blast.

Aint dads the greatest. He don't mind a bit that I bring some junkie ass Scout down to his house, tear it apart and tie up his garage with this project.

Also blasted the fan while we were at it

Almost done.

Just hitting a few spots missed.

Now I painted most of the frame I got a shot of Dad doing a little.

The finished product. Now will let set for a week to make sure it is completely cured. We used a 1/2 of a gallon of paint with reducer to paint the frame. About 4 coats, don't have to worry about rust again. Then next weekend we should start to build on it.

Blasting found a few holes but it should be ok.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #33
Josh Shoemaker

The cross member and fan blade.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #34
Josh Shoemaker

Tracking numbers!!!!!!!!! Makes me feel good, always get excited when I see them.

Got some stuff in today

first off, I took the heater box in to the powder coater and had to drop it off with his wife about a week ago. She was really excited to hear about the project and said that her husband would be even more excited.

Well she called me today and said that it was ready. Got there and sure as she said her husband was really excited. He talked and talked about it. I really felt good about the project and really put my motivation into overdrive. I told him that I would have some more stuff coming up to have powder coated. He also told me that it is legal to put a older tag on your car as long as it is older than a 1971. I thought that would be cool if I could find a 1961 georgia tag and put it on the Scout. So he said that he would look out for one for me. Sweet!!!

The heater box. Now I know that it seems that we are putting the horse before the cart with getting this done, since there is other tasks that must be done first before this box is a concern. But this is just the way I do things; it also keeps me interested that I can start to see the finish product.

I think it turned out great. I really do like this powder coating.

Now since some of the bolts on this have the IH stamped in the top, I would really like to keep them. Mainly I think that is the coolest thing ever. So I went into the local tractor supply (get store) and was looking around and came across a product that claims to remove rust. I thought well I'll try it and see.

Well it actually worked. I didn't think to take any before pictures but I do have one of the tag on the radiator.

Before

After

Thats pretty good. I let it soak for 24 hrs in this chemical.

Some of the bolts

And this is the chemical

Old 03-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #35
Josh Shoemaker

Also got the double flaring tool. Now I didn't buy it off of ebay; I bought it off the eastwood site. For $153.00. So I save a little money. I know most of you on here think that I paid too much, but I just can't get the other tools to work for me. I figure that this is idiot proof, hence the idiot that bought it.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #36
Josh Shoemaker

Got the air breather cleaned up and found that rust claimed a hole in the breather.

With my superior hvac brazing skills I was able to braze it up with 45% silver solder.

While writing this post the ups man showed up with the oil pump drive tube.

I pulled off the vavle cover off the maryland engine and found that frequent oil changes was not in its life. But I will see with the oil pump test where I need to go from there. The vavle cover gasket has never been replaced. How do I know this you ask?. It's a cork gasket, and it still has the red paint on the outside.

Last edited by Josh Shoemaker; 04-05-2010 at 03:53 PM..
Old 04-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #37
Josh Shoemaker

Finally got my Scout down to my Dad's this past weekend. Started removing the body mount bolts and pulling the body off.
Glad my Dad has this setup in the attic.

Pulling the top off.

Got the top off and the bolts cut loose.

One of the problems when lifting the body in one piece is trying not to flex the body and get it in a bind. And trying to figure out just how to lift it while not damaging the body. So we discussed it and came up with some well place 2x4's and it worked out very well. Just had to adjust the center.

And up it comes..

Old 04-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #38
Josh Shoemaker

Rolled the frame out of the way and lowered the body on the trailer and parked it in the yard.

Rolled the frame back in and started removing the axles. I am going to use my axles and take the maryland axles and put them on this frame. I plan on rebuilding the axles or having them rebuilt. I know nothing about rebuilding them, so I May just find someone to rebuild them for me.

Found some evidence of rock crawling or stump jumping.

Bent cross member

Folded back body mount.

Now I am almost sure that one of the persons that owned this Scout before me was in a just get it to work mode.

This a plastic tube that is going to the clutch slave cylinder that has a cable tie and a worm drive hose clamp.
Can someone say hack!!!!!

And this is just as bad. There was a 5/8 garden hose running under the body. When I saw this I knew that it was being used as a jacket for some wiring. But I never guessed it had this in it.

This is a sjo cord commonly used on hand tools. This was being used to run power to the lights.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #39
East

Member Number: 1736

Cool build.....keep up the awesome work. I am currently building one...just got the chassis back from powdercoat, check it out I posted some pics. I look forward to the progression!

Have a good day!
East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #40
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

I've been overlooking your progress man!

You have really gotten into this one.

Great score on the rotisserie, I'm gonna use two of the cheepo harbor freight engine stands to fab one for my next frame resto.

Still no word from radiatordude, my next visit with him will be this coming Friday.

You should feel privileged, the power cord wiring harness is a definite improvement over the oem stuff, but then...most of 'em have been "fixed" by now using zipcord!

I've seen alotta workarounds, but a dam reamer stuck in the hole where the hot air tube fitting for a choke goes??? That is a new one!

Those rigs never had hot air choke carbs, though some fords which used the 1904 mixer did have a version of a hot air "automatic" choke. That tells me the exhaust manifold came off a passenger side of an sv application prior to a '73 model sumthin'...no big deal, they all interchange and I see that all the time. But...no need to plug that hole at all unless someone drilled it through, it's a blind hole originally!

As for fabbing in a rear crossmember to the frame horns for a hitch connection/mount point, again that is fairly common. The front bumper on my s80 is done that way and is a real solid mount point for a tow bar so it stays in place but will be cleaned up considerably.

I've got the same kinda "lift" rig mounted in my shop ceiling with a winch attached to the wall. I use it for r&r of the camper shell (and storage) on one side, then move the cable to a turning block on the other side and use it to lift/store my cataraft to the ceiling during the off season on the river. The camper shell will soon be history, then the travel top for the s80 will come inside and hang in it's place onna as-need basis.

http://vimeo.com/8149690

Last edited by Michael Mayben; 04-06-2010 at 06:44 PM..
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #41
Josh Shoemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by east View Post
cool build.....keep up the awesome work. I am currently building one...just got the chassis back from powdercoat, check it out I posted some pics. I look forward to the progression!

Have a good day!
I have saw your frame. It looked like it spent its life in the south west. I couldn't see any evidence of rust. Looks good. I thought about the powder coat, but thought that I would save a little money there. I could sandblast the frame and paint it and all I would have in it is the $65.00 for the gallon of paint. So it was pretty simple choice.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #42
Josh Shoemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael mayben View Post
I've been overlooking your progress man!

You have really gotten into this one.

Great score on the rotisserie, I'm gonna use two of the cheepo harbor freight engine stands to fab one for my next frame resto.

Still no word from radiatordude, my next visit with him will be this coming Friday.

You should feel privileged, the power cord wiring harness is a definite improvement over the oem stuff, but then...most of 'em have been "fixed" by now using zipcord!

I've seen alotta workarounds, but a dam reamer stuck in the hole where the hot air tube fitting for a choke goes??? That is a new one!

Those rigs never had hot air choke carbs, though some fords which used the 1904 mixer did have a version of a hot air "automatic" choke. That tells me the exhaust manifold came off a passenger side of an sv application prior to a '73 model sumthin'...no big deal, they all interchange and I see that all the time. But...no need to plug that hole at all unless someone drilled it through, it's a blind hole originally!

As for fabbing in a rear crossmember to the frame horns for a hitch connection/mount point, again that is fairly common. The front bumper on my s80 is done that way and is a real solid mount point for a tow bar so it stays in place but will be cleaned up considerably.

I've got the same kinda "lift" rig mounted in my shop ceiling with a winch attached to the wall. I use it for r&r of the camper shell (and storage) on one side, then move the cable to a turning block on the other side and use it to lift/store my cataraft to the ceiling during the off season on the river. The camper shell will soon be history, then the travel top for the s80 will come inside and hang in it's place onna as-need basis.
Thanks man, I have been staying focus on this project. One of the things that is helping me is my Dad. Although he said it was ok to work in his garage I know he really dosen't like having my project tying up his work space. So I have been going up there every weekend.

I am planning to attend the dixie regional in concord this weekend. So I doubt that I will get anything done.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:04 AM   #43
Josh Shoemaker

Well I got the oil pump drive tool and did the oil test. At first didn't see any oil on the rockers. Then we did the rotate the engine backwards 10 times and still didn't see it. But when we did the slowly turn the crank over while driving the oil pump we struck oil! This is the maryland engine. Also cleaned the fuel bowl on the pump. Man was that filter dirty, reminded me of something you see when you leave oil outside and it rains in it.

Also removed the windsheild out of the frame and did the soda blasting on it. I was impressed, it did great on the paint but didn't touch the rust. I guess I will need to look for some walnut shells for the rust. Also Dad blasted the axles and painted them this week. The only problem is that I forgot to grab the camera before I left.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #44
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh shoemaker View Post
well I got the oil pump drive tool and did the oil test. At first didn't see any oil on the rockers. Then we did the rotate the engine backwards 10 times and still didn't see it. But when we did the slowly turn the crank over while driving the oil pump we struck oil! This is the maryland engine. Also cleaned the fuel bowl on the pump. Man was that filter dirty, reminded me of something you see when you leave oil outside and it rains in it.

Also removed the windsheild out of the frame and did the soda blasting on it. I was impressed, it did great on the paint but didn't touch the rust. I guess I will need to look for some walnut shells for the rust. Also Dad blasted the axles and painted them this week. The only problem is that I forgot to grab the camera before I left.
Excellent josh! It just takes alotta patience to find the sweet spot on the camshaft/block/head oil port alignment! It's only "exposed" for less than 5* of camshaft rotation,...twice with every single revolution of the camshaft (not the crankshaft).

But ya still need to disassemble and clean the rocker assembly internally by popping at least one of the core plugs out.

Since it May be awhile now before ya actually try and fire that motor off, I'd do the pre-oil process again just before attempting the first start! The "ten turns backward rotation" is to help spread an oil film/wedge between all bearing journals and bearings shells, not just to test the rocker system oil delivery.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #45
Josh Shoemaker

Here are some of the pictures now that I got my camera.

The window frame.

It really dosen't look like its ever been painted.

The original grinder marks left from grinding the welds down.

Some of the rust that is on the frame.

I saw this and I am assuming that the this used to be a spring at one time. I first thought that it was threads, but it wouldn't make any sense to put threads in it. Were the latches spring loaded?

And the vaccum wipers, I have a video of them loading on u tube right now of trying to get them to operate. I just took the back off to see how they operated.