IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Axle Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 10-27-2016, 07:36 PM   #1
diggum

Member Number: 8245
Default Spring over axle conversion

So I've looked around and priced the soa from a few different places , my question is , is it worth it ? What are the benefits ... is it really just taking the spring perch mounting point from the lower side of the axle to the top side for a higher ride height ? Forgive me for my lack of knowledge I'm just trying to understand better
diggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
Hondo

Member Number: 4714
Default Re: Spring over axle conversion

It also gets your u-bolt hardware, and shock mounts up and out of danger of smacking into rocks, and it makes room for much bigger tires - which does the most for gaining additional ground clearance. A spring over is usually done with a cut and turn to correct caster, which gets messed up when you weld on the perches so the differentials point upwards for better u-joint geometry. A huge body lift is useless when your axles get hung up.
1975 Scout II healthy 258, Wide T19 , 4:1 D300 3:54s,
1972 Real clean stock Scout II P/S, P/B, 345, T18, 3:73s
1969 Mach I. Balanced ported 351W, 650 double pumper, Super T10, Detroit locker with 4.11s. Lowered with racing springs, bars, Konis etc.
(Don't worry about getting arrested when I drive the Scouts).
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:51 AM   #3
Scooter

Member Number: 917

The stock front scout axle is a little more involved than just flipping the spring perches around, for SOA. As Hondo, mentioned, the caster does get messed up when setting up the front axle correctly. Plus, There is some work on passenger side of axle for the differintial housing where the leaf spring sits
It is all based on what your over all intended use for your own scout. I have seen guys still be sprung under and wheel their rigs often. I have a 72 Scout II that most like will never be SOA while I own it. It rolls around on 33" shoes, a slight spring lift, and a 2" body lift
I, also, have a 73 Scout II that is SOA from before I purchased it. Rolling on 35" shoes, Slight spring lift and 1" body lift.

Doing a SOA conversion will gain you roughly 5-1/2" of lift with out changing the leaf springs.
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:56 AM   #4
diggum

So it's not really necessary persay ... the scout I bout has 4" lift , but over all I'm pleased with the ride height . I don't intend for it to be a hard core wheeling machine , but a great over all trail rig with daily drivability. So far it sounds like it's a preference thing not necessarily a performance mod
Old 10-28-2016, 05:00 AM   #5
Scooter

Member Number: 917

Correct. All a matter of personal preference. If you are happy with how it handles as is. then leave it.

One thing that I might suggest, BUT not required one bit, if it hasn't been done so yet, is doing a Shackle reversal install on the front end. I have installed my fair share of reversal kits, including on my own scouts. And the over all impression is that it handles much better afterwards.

Again, even that is all a matter of personal preference. There are some people who prefer NOT to do the shackle reversal install.
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:52 AM   #6
diggum

I do know that my front shackles are miss matched . Some of the welds on the brackets look pretty " shade tree" but I guess they are holding . I'll check out some shackles . Thanks man
Old 10-28-2016, 08:20 AM   #7
Dealbreaker74

Member Number: 697

This is a SUA rig with 4" Skyjacker springs, 1" shackles, and 33s. Goes anywhere we want to go. Its about as hard core as I want to go with it. Bigger (37-40") tires would need more clearance, and at that point a SOA conversion would have to happen.
One other thing to consider on the SOA is the amount of "sculpting" you'll have to do to the cast-in spring perch on the pass side of the front diff. Take a peek at the next time you're under there and ask yourself if you're up for that. The top will have to be flattened to accept the proper angle of the new pinion angle, and the bottom will need to be profiled to accept the U bolts. Its just one in a series of pretty advanced steps you'll have to tackle.
Unless you're smashing U bolts and nuts every time you go out, I don't think you'll appreciate the time and effort that goes into this mod.
My .02
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010366.jpg (83.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg P1010623.jpg (81.1 KB, 47 views)
Dealbreaker74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:28 AM   #8
diggum

That looks fine , I'm not goin extreme , was just something I was curious about 10k$ is a lot for a mod I prob won't use
Old 01-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #9
Justutt67

Member Number: 5547

I know this is old but I just read it. $10k for a spring over conversion? Wow that's pricey. Do it yourself and save $9k+. It's really not that hard. For parts you would need new flexible brake lines, new shocks, 4 spring perches and a weekend of time. This is assuming you weld it yourself. I suppose it would be more if you wanted to go hi steer also but 10k is steep!
Justutt67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #10
diggum

10k was ... new front n rear axles all new braided lines ... might have even been disc conversion ... there was a lot that came with it ...
Old 01-09-2017, 08:50 PM   #11
Justutt67

Member Number: 5547

Oh ok I was thinking it was the price to convert your current axles.
Justutt67 is offline   Reply With Quote