IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Transmission Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 07-07-2017, 06:24 AM   #1
Hondo

Member Number: 4714
Default Pilot bearing/bushing lubrication

Just pulled the transmission on my 75 Scout, 258, T19. Have been getting an intermittent growl for a while when the clutch pedal is pressed in and the transmission is put into gear. The growl usually went away when warmed up. After a trip to Pyramid lake last weekend, it was no longer intermittent. Only thing I see is the pilot bushing looks pretty dry. Throwout bearing looks and feels OK, will get replaced anyways. Mine is a bronze pilot bushing. Have another bushing and bearing on order. Question is, how is the bearing or bushing lubricated? Thought the bushings were oil impregnated, maybe the oil all seeped out over time? Do you squirt some grease in the pocket behind the bushing or bearing before stabbing the transmission? Focusing in on the pilot bushing because the noise happens when the clutch pedal is pushed in, and the transmission is put in gear at a stop. The tranny input shaft stops spinning, but flywheel and pilot bushing keep turning.
1975 Scout II healthy 258, Wide T19 , 4:1 D300 3:54s,
1972 Real clean stock Scout II P/S, P/B, 345, T18, 3:73s
1969 Mach I. Balanced ported 351W, 650 double pumper, Super T10, Detroit locker with 4.11s. Lowered with racing springs, bars, Konis etc.
(Don't worry about getting arrested when I drive the Scouts).
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote