IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Diesel Engine Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 11-29-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
carnuck

Member Number: 699
Default Is this just a SD33 bell or did other IHs use it?

From a buddy's Jeep cj10a parts collection. I know there is another ring to the back of the motor that I don't have, but were these only diesel or? I plan to sell them (linkages and valvecover plus intake) I know the top pattern is for a t19. Bottom looks like sae #4. (I had a '75 dodge w500 with 5 speed and 361 like that)

I found an sd22 with 5 speed but it's too small for the '68 Travelall (still trying to figure a drivetrain for it) it May go in a comanche instead.

Last edited by carnuck; 11-29-2014 at 11:06 PM..
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Sammy

Member Number: 5249
Default Re: Is this just a SD33 bell or did other IHs use it?

Sd 22 and 33 used the same bellhousing and flywheel cover that you're missing. Iirc that's a sae#2 bell for those. The 22 is definitely too small for the t'all at only 60 hp. I had a 33t for years and it was good as far as reliability goes but the lack of ponies and parts sources drying up I went a different route.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
carnuck

This adapter will go away soon. (someone wants it for $50) if I still have it when my buddy gets the isuzu 4bd2tc pulled, I'll compare it to that adapter (jatco bell) there are still marine and military Jeep places with parts for the sd33t. The isuzu will probably be around a bit longer yet. I was curious if other IH motor used that bell because the later isuzus used a version of the aw4 o/d automatic that is known for reliability and strength. (the isuzu 4het motor that came with them, not so much)
Old 03-16-2015, 02:33 PM   #4
RMP&O

Member Number: 2125

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
sd 22 and 33 used the same bellhousing and flywheel cover that you're missing. Iirc that's a sae#2 bell for those. The 22 is definitely too small for the t'all at only 60 hp. I had a 33t for years and it was good as far as reliability goes but the lack of ponies and parts sources drying up I went a different route.
Fyi, patrol is completely different from the engine plate back. Which makes me think the sd22 stuff is completely different too.

The patrol sd33t engine plate (is that what you guys call adapter?) is much shallower as is the bellhousing. Completely different bolt pattern too. Patrol shifter location due to this is 4" forward of where it is with a t19.

Interesting bit though, engine plate has Nissan part number on it, very similar part number to the patrol plate. I guess the engine plate is obviously a Nissan part on scouts. Crank has got to be different too as the Scout sd33t has a big hole in the back of the crank while the patrol it is machined for a spigot bushing. Scout has bearing in the flywheel for input shaft bearing not spigot bushing in the end of the crank like on a patrol. Difference in size on the hole in the crack is huge. Don't see these cranks being universal for this reason.

Cheers
RMP&O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #5
carnuck

I forgot to mention it's long gone and sold too. The motor we were going to put in the truck turned out to have a freeze crack on the side the seller wasn't showing us. Someone else snagged it for parts. We're going with an isuzu 4bd2tc

Last edited by carnuck; 03-16-2015 at 03:29 PM..