Thread: Project Karma
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #49
Scooter

Member Number: 917
Default Re: Project Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoedonner View Post
I will be doing either the reinforcement plate or straight steer. I have yet to find out the advantage of one over the other. Got any opinions? I would love to hear them.
I know on my 74 Scout, all three bolt holes, for the steering gear box, in the frame are sleeved, to prevent the frame itself from being deformed when the bolts are tightend. The straight stear that you speak of will help destribute the force between both frame rails. It also adds a cross brace where none was mounted from the factory. My theory is to add both - a reinforcement plate and the straight steer. The plate being on the outside of the frame, sandwhiched between the steering gear box and the frame. That was where my frame was getting tweeked. Not so much on the inside(engine bay) of frame.

In my build thread of my 74, I believe I added photos of the 1/4" plate that I fabed up. I then welded it to the out side of the frame, then bolted the steering box on top of that. Then fine tuning the alignment to compensate the 1/4" plate. I also added a reinforcement plate - similar to what IH Parts America sells - to the inside(engine bay) of the frame.

Hope that helps some what
scooter

btw - good luck and enjoy the re-wiring. Been there done that. And I'm about to do it again. Glutten for punishment oh boy
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote