View Single Post
Old 11-03-2016, 04:07 AM   #1
cbmind

Member Number: 415
Default My Traveler Ride

A little progress on my 1980 IH Scout traveler.
Purchased in fresno, CA from son of an IH dealer owner, was in great shape. Went through a severe accident, decided to not keep it original. The outcome is a little fun, see pictures.

Engine- 1982 345v8 out of a low mile bus, was fuel injected, currently 4brl carburetor, new seals, core olugs, welch plugs throughout, rear main replacement with speedi sleeve, modified oil pan for dual drain plugs, stock internals, replaced water pump, IH/ duraspark/ GM ignition. Strong motor but smokes a little, May be oil drain back or valve seals, not sure. Compression, vacuum, oil pressure all check out. 2 1/2" dual exhaust w/ flowmaster mufflers, custom tri y block hugger headers, ceramic coated with ball collector flanges. 1979 Scout waterneck ordered up a 1210 waterneck for more room, lokar throttle cable, claimer throttle cable aluminum bracket. Like to add FI back in, hotter cam. Fabricated fan shroud for body lift, 195 thermostat for awesome heat

drivetrain-
1991 GM 4l60 od transmission with IH Parts America adapter. Transmission supposedly GM factory rebuilt. Shifts into gear but wont shift out of first. Did a speedi sleeve fix on splined yoke torque converter due to rot and leaks. Lokar dip stick, fluid and filter change custom fabricated crossmember with 700r4 trans mount, perma cool electric fan transmission cooler mounted behind driver side headlight core support. Lokar tv cable.
1991 np241c transfer case, rebuilt with jb conversions sye 1350 kit and cable shift kit. Equipped with TSM parking brake kit. Nwf clocking ring.
4"od rear drive shaft w/ 1410. No front drive shaft yet. Need to sort out pinion angle on front axle first.
14 bolt cab and chassis rear, 4.10 gearing, open for now. Hope to install a detroit locker and then reseal.
1980 Scout Dana 44 front with Chevy 8 lug outers/ warner hubs, oem shafts. Need to regear to match rear, cut and turn for pinion angle/ caster, want ARB front locker. Used chris pucci's awesome direction on this outer conversion.

Brakes- 1975 k20 calipers, discs all four corners. 1995 Chevy astro van hydroboost with psc pump, rebuilt mc, new brake lines, kartec fluid filter, summit racing heat sink finned rail cooler mounted to behind front frame crossmember.

Steering- psc steering gear tapped for hydro assist. Hd tie rod and drag link with Chevy 1 ton tres. Jeep wagoner pitman arm, factory non tilt column, borgeson joint, grant 13" wheel. Wheel's too small, steering is very light. Want a larger wheel, add more weight to the steering feel. Any ideas?

Suspension- front IH Parts America front shackle reversal, hd u bolt plates, Bilstein shocks light racing bump stops, 1992 Ford f350 upper shock towers, spring under still. 4" Rough Country Scout leaf springs. Debating spring over or coil over radius arm setup. Rear 2001 Chevy hd leaf springs with overloads removed, light racing bump stops, Bilstein shocks, fabricated upper shock mounts outside frame rails, fabricated spring mounts front and rear, setup for IHPA rear sway bar, not connected.

Wheels/ tires- dick cepek mud countrys, 35 x 12.5x 17 8 lug. Are teflon mojave wheels 17 x 8 8 lug. Steel waggon wheel full size spare.
Electrical related- kwikwire 22 circuit harness. Battery switch, optima red top mounted in bed with heavy gauge cables. New lamp sockets, bulbs, integrated FI harness for future use. Deutsch connectors used throughout, so much better than weatherpack style, more choices.need you add in relays, but most everything is working, still sorting out dome light circuit, need to wire up heater/ defroster.

Interior- stock crazy rust plaid. Autometer phantom II gauges in IH Parts America aluminum gauge cluster rivnut used to mount. Hind sight I would have ordered radio delete as the radio hole doesn't match the chop job in my dash. Oh well. Custom transmission covery to mount moroso 6 switch toggle switch bank, B&M shifter, and transfer case shifter out of diamond plate. Removed factory center console. Have a factory heater/ defroster unit to repair and mount, still to do, in progress. New windshield and seal, self dimming/ compass/ temperature rear view mirror. Need to recover passenger bucket seats and remount seat belts, order up defroster hose, finish rivnut work on dash panel, sort dome light switch circuit (think I have the polarity on the circuit reversed as they work great till you shut the door, then the fuse blows!).
Need to buy and mount fire extinguisher, want a permanent mounted oba system too. Versa track system in rear for cargo tie down points.

Body- pretty well intact, need to replace taillight sheet metal on one side, rocker panel on passenger side, bang out passenger front fender. Still want a set of bulged and flared set of fiberglass fenders to run larger tires. One day and $5k. Running stock traveler top, in good shape, have terra top and bulkhead. Terrands top needs glass, have seals. Needs to be refinished too. Fabricated rear bumper/ receiver hitch, tow points, high and tight to body. Need to build a rear tire carrier for huge tire- build off of current rear bumper, mounted high, incorporate a tail gate to also use when terra top is in place, and to extend the bed to carry my ktms but still usable with traveler top installed. Front bumper is unfinished but currently setup for warner xd9000i winch with remote. Will build out to incorporate a brush guard hoop, auxiliary lighting with lazer star leds. Would like to mount up a 40"+ light bar on the windshield, shorter one on front bumper. Repaired windshield frame with windshield removed. Need to build nerf bars/ side steps. Probably will make them to where they can be used as air tanks.

Sorry for lengthy post, but maybe it will give someone ideas. My goal with this truck is to be able to use it as a daily driver, camping, long trips, somewhat bulletproof and definitely reliable, incorporating parts that will be readily available for years to come.I don't plan on selling this one, my third Scout. Yesterday I finally was able to get it registered, making it legal for the first ime in 4 years. It's been out of service for that long! Major milestone reached.

Wants- ARB front locker, detroit rear locker, coil over/ radius arm front suspension (or spring over with Chevy leaves), oba, train horn, dual battery setup, air conditioning. These are items I don't have yet and are long range to dos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161102_180555.jpg (48.9 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg 20161102_180549.jpg (50.3 KB, 297 views)

Last edited by cbmind; 11-03-2016 at 04:13 AM..
cbmind is offline   Reply With Quote