IH PARTS AMERICA

IH PARTS AMERICA (https://forums.ihpartsamerica.com/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (https://forums.ihpartsamerica.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Getting title in CA (https://forums.ihpartsamerica.com/showthread.php?t=12626)

scouttoo 12-11-2015 10:05 PM

Getting title in CA
 
Looking for someone who has recent experience in getting a title on a vehicle with no paperwork in California. Is there any way to check the vin to make sure it isn't stolen? My google searching didn't turn up anything for sure except that things are real difficult in this state. What a surprise, not. I guess aaa can be helpful.

ihpartsjeff 12-12-2015 03:23 PM

Re: Getting title in CA
 
We use donna leek of professional registration service. She is local and should be able to get you a title. Best to call her at 530-320-5708 for information and pricing.

Rob Gojkovich 12-13-2015 11:35 AM

Re: Getting title in CA
 
I have used donna leek twice and she did a fantastic job.

71mtnscout 12-13-2015 01:58 PM

Re: Getting title in CA
 
I just went through this with the 64. I called aaa with the plate and the vin and it was out of the system. I had to fill out a few forms and it has to go through dmv for a chp full inspection to finalize the paperwork.

scouttoo 12-19-2015 09:35 AM

Re: Getting title in CA
 
How much is it for the registration service -roughly? I don't have a vehicle to purchase yet. There's one up north that's a possibility.
What is involved with the inspection? Are they looking under the hood? Reason I ask is because there will be a cummins 6bt shoe-horned in there where a Nissan sd33 once lived along with other major mods. I don't want to go thru all the work and then have CA say no way. I think I would have to leave the state.

71mtnscout 12-19-2015 01:25 PM

Re: Getting title in CA
 
Its a verification for the vin and a light and brake inspection. That's all they care about...90% don't even know there is a vin on the frame.

Robert Kenney 12-19-2015 04:03 PM

Re: Getting title in CA
 
Aaa will do the vin verification for no fee. They have done all of my IH's and other vintage rolling stock on the spot.

Be cautious however that the vin tag will have a letter in the vin, for instance an "a" on my 65 that was not stamped on the frame rail. That almost soiled my Scout verification but I told the agent that IH only stamped the letter on the vin tag. Went fine after that.

scouttoo 12-19-2015 08:21 PM

Re: Getting title in CA
 
One Scout possibility is missing some front sheet metal and has no engine or trans. So, if I get the title thru that reg service, build it, then take it for inspection I'm golden?

71mtnscout 12-21-2015 03:48 PM

Re: Getting title in CA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scouttoo (Post 83463)
one Scout possibility is missing some front sheet metal and has no engine or trans. So, if I get the title thru that reg service, build it, then take it for inspection I'm golden?

I don't see a problem with that, that's my plan for the 64.

scouttoo 12-22-2015 08:06 PM

Re: Getting title in CA
 
The inspector won't be curious about 6+ inches of lift, full width diffs, 4 inch sewer pipe sitting on 35s?:icon_eek:

71mtnscout 12-22-2015 10:16 PM

Re: Getting title in CA
 
There are no smog or mod laws that apply. Just make sure you are tire covering and bumper height legal

Mark Pietz 07-29-2016 11:22 AM

Re: Getting title in CA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert kenney (Post 83459)
aaa will do the vin verification for no fee. They have done all of my IH's and other vintage rolling stock on the spot.

Be cautious however that the vin tag will have a letter in the vin, for instance an "a" on my 65 that was not stamped on the frame rail. That almost soiled my Scout verification but I told the agent that IH only stamped the letter on the vin tag. Went fine after that.

Just saw this thread and it brought to mind when I had the dmv verify the frame vin on my 1980. If I had brought along the LST I might have had some ammunition to shoot back with. My frame was stamped k0062 before the kgdxxxxx. That didn't match the vin plate and she sent me off to the chp to sort it out, which only made things worse (they stuck me with a "truck" plate because it had a terra top on it). The LST had pre-printed on it k0062 before the vin. Anyone else notice this?

Erik VanRenselaar 08-02-2016 12:32 AM

Re: Getting title in CA
 
13 digits for an 'old style' vin

scouttoo 09-09-2017 08:33 PM

Re: Getting title in CA
 
The Scout I wound up getting came out of Nevada. It came with a signed over title from the previous owner and a bill of sale from the person I bought it from. CHP came out to the house to verify the VIN. Such service! It took a couple trips to DMV, but really no problems. The CHP officer couldn't find the VIN on the frame, neither could I, but fortunately the VIN plate and VIN sticker are enough for verification. I'm wondering why no VIN on the frame?

Mark Pietz 10-06-2017 07:56 AM

Re: Getting title in CA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scouttoo (Post 89495)
The Scout I wound up getting came out of Nevada. It came with a signed over title from the previous owner and a bill of sale from the person I bought it from. CHP came out to the house to verify the VIN. Such service! It took a couple trips to DMV, but really no problems. The CHP officer couldn't find the VIN on the frame, neither could I, but fortunately the VIN plate and VIN sticker are enough for verification. I'm wondering why no VIN on the frame?

It's there, just faint or eroded away.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:48 AM.